Did Your Second Baby Come Earlier and Faster Labor?

LilDreamy

Reaction score
Just curious, as this is baby number 2 for me.

I've often heard that 2nd babies and more they usually come earlier and Labor is faster.

With my first, my baby was born 30 minutes before her due date and my labor lasted 22 hours.

I'm ok with baby coming on time... I'm just hoping that this labor doesn't take as long as 22 hours. :S

What is your experience? Thanks!!:)

My first was two days overdue and about 6 hours from 4cm to birth but in early labour for about 24 hours
My second 1 day over due, first contraction at two am but not really painful until 1pm, 5 cm at 4:15pm born at 5am so lots quicker for me.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk 2

1st pregnancy induced at 39+6 due to high bp - pessary inserted at 5pm, waters broke at 8pm - contractions started - baby born 2.20pm the next day! arrg

2nd pregnancy - natural labour at 39+6 - contractions started at 1.30am - baby born with no pain relief in water at 1.30pm

Thanks for the replies! It seems it may be true. :)

I was wondering about this. My labour with my first was only four and a half hours. If the theory is true I'd better start planning a home birth for number two!!!

Lol Hellywelly. If I were you I would go to the Hospital as soon as I felt anything slightly disturbing!
Good luck to you though!

First labour 7 hours 3 weeks early, second labour 2hours 40 mins 1 week early xx

WWOO 2 Hour Labor! That would be AWESOME! yet... shocking and scary. lol. :)

Last edited:
Well I will definately say my son came 2 months premature compared to my first, my daughter, who was full term to the minute (If she'd of been born just before midnight she would have also been considered premature as she came at 38 weeks exactly at 2:00am the next day) As for actually being a faster labor, he was stubborn... my daughter took 12 hours my son took a WEEK! My water had broken on Christmas, go figure right? Well, went to the hospital in full blown labor and because he was premature they had to ship me off to a different hospital outside my own state :( For the trip they gave me something to try and slow the contractions so I wouldn't give birth in the ambulance... but when I got there, they stopped completely! I was on bed rest in the hospital from then until the 30th when I started to have contractions again.. but then I couldn't dilate so I had to have a c-section performed >.<

I don't wish the same on anyone else but that's my story, I hope everything turns okay for you dear and your little one! :hugs:

first was 10 days late and I was induced. cant remember how long the labour was. Second was 6 days late and gave birth 45 mins later after arriving at the hospital. maybe a few hours of pain at home too.

i had to be induced with second but yes he came early and my labour was 6 hours shorter than the first x x x

My 2nd baby was 10 days over due and I went for a midwife appt at the hospital and my waters broke while I was there and she was born 2 and half hours after, definitely quicker then my 1st labour which seemed to last forever but my 3rd baby was 13 n half hours x

1 was induced late 48hrs later nothing and a emergency section

second 3 days after due date an 3 days labour as I told them I didn't want a section but did go from 2-fully dilated in 20mins!

3rd 12 days late and about 20 hours labour x

I've been wondering and worrying about this too.
My first labour was quite quick. Waters broke at 1pm at home, started to get serious contractions at 11pm, was on the delivery suite at 1am at 5cm and DD was born at 5am.
DH is working about 1hr 30mins away. DD will be home on school holidays. The childcare and hospital are 45 mins away. So, any twinges, I'm getting my arse in gear this time! I hope my waters break again before labour starts because that's a pretty good indicator of what's about to come.

My first was induced at eleven days overdue, took two days for her to come.

Second was born one day late. Contractions started on the Monday night (early labour ones) and continued, gradually getting longer and stronger until she was born on the Saturday evening. So pretty long time, but only one day late!!

My first born was 1 day early and labour was 40 hours and my second was 16 days early, labour was 30 mins.

With my second, contractions started really suddenly at 3.15am and they got strong super fast. Ended up having baby at home at about 3.50am just 5 minutes after paramedics arriving.

My mum was the same. Labour 2 days with my older brother and then 30 mins with me.

So yeah, there does seem to be some truth that second is quicker. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back