development?

samandbump

Reaction score
hi girls
does anyone know if a baby is born early it affects there development? jack was 37+4 and i was wondering if he will develop slower as he is only supposed to be 5 weeks i.e will he only do what a 5week old is supposed to do or will he catch up with his actual age??if i count from when he was born he is nearly 7weeks hope this makes sense

not sure to be honest hun, but maybe the girls in the prem section may be able to help?

he's not really really prem so i'm sure he's fine as he did at least reach full term, but if you're worried i'd maybe ask in there.

:hug:

x

if healthy and well and not too prem then most catch up but it can take a while. At this stage the difference one week makes is such a huge percentage of their life. eg when they are 6 weeks old one weke is 1/6th of their development but by the time they are 1yr then 1wk is 1/52th! if you see what I mean.

so in english :roll: might smile at 8 weeks rather than 6, might roll a few weeks late or walk a bit later than another baby (but still in the normal range and then catch up completely well before nursery starts :) )

37+4 is a good age :) not prem :)

37+4 isnt prem. 37 weeks is term.

both my children were born early.. 37 weeks and 36+5 and i havent noticed they were later developing than any other children. charlotte was very advanced for her age, il let you know about edward lol

Dan was born at 36 weeks and I was told that he may be slightly behind in some stuff due to his 'corrected age'
He's just not advanced in physical things. For example he was stacking blocks from about 10 months but he's now 14 months and he's still not walking yet (although he's just started to stand by himself so I'm hoping very soon :cheer: ) He's still doing the physical stuff within the normal timeframes (sitting, crawling etc), just more at the later end of it.

alice was 37 +2 and she is one of the most advanced kids out of my group of mummy friends (Ok, im slightly bias!!).

all kiddies are different. if you have any worries, thats what you HV is for! they will soon know if something is up.

thanks, im not worried i was just interested to know i have no concerns about him at all :D

i do reckon that it makes a difference to development.

my sister had her twin girls at 28weeks.... so they were 3 months early.

they are 2 years old now and are both a lot smaller than they should be at that age... the smallest twin is only just a little bit bigger than a six month old.

also, they started walking later than other babies, and also talking.
they chatter all the time now but you cant work out anything they say and they dont actually pronounce any words that make sense.

i do believe that they are (can't think of another word) "behind" because they were so early... but i dont think a couple of weeks would make a difference.
although saying that - everyone says how alert and strong Leah is... and that she doesnt act like a newborn baby and acts like an older baby... and she was 2 weeks overdue...... so im not sure :think: :think: :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back