Daytime/Night time

xxbeckyxx

Reaction score
So from day 1 I've tried to separate days from nights. In the daytime we have Lizzie's moses basket downstairs, she is free of blankets, lights on, curtains open, TV on and we are busy doing things in the house.
When it gets to about 9pm we put her moses basket upstairs, close the curtains, just have a low light lamp on and keep everything nice and quiet.

However, she is definitely a day time sleeper as she sleeps for 4-6 hours in the day whereas she seems to wake every 2 hours in the night. She's also very easy to settle in the daytime - a short feed and nappy change and she's back to sleep, but at night it can take me up to 2 hours to get her to calm down and drift back to sleep.

Obviously this is kind of the wrong way round when it comes to my sleep! I find it impossible to sleep in the day so am not getting much sleep at all.

Any advice? It's getting to the point where I want to sleep downstairs with her with the telly on to see if she'll sleep for longer periods. I think it's too early to try keeping her awake during the day just to get her tired for night time, what do you guys think??
Any tips would be great, I'm getting so upset and teary just thinking about going to bed cos I know it's the start of just sitting there awake with a crying baby while OH snores beside me.

Isla is the same - sleeps no problem in thre moses basket downstairs during the day but we can't get her settled at night in her crib upstairs.

The mw said it's totally normal and may take a few weeks for it to change. Isla tends to cluster feed between 10pm and 2pm and then finally goes down by about 4am! Me and DH are takint it turns to hold her until she's ready to get in het crib!

I'm like you - I can;t sleep in the day either!

I'm sure it will get easier!!

Thanks hun, it helps just to know someone else is in the same boat!
My OH needs his sleep for medical reasons (yes it's true, although sounds like a copout lol!), so it's all down to me at night time which makes it harder than daytime as well.

It will get easier, my Isla took until 5am to settle the first few weeks and napped all day. We've put her in clothes during the day and babygrows at night, also not interacting with her at night has helped to get her in to cot for 11ish an sleeps until 2, then 7/8am. I don't go to bed until late so technically I don't do a nightfeed.

I ended up on the floor with Isla on her Moses basket mattress and me patting her to sleep. It will get easier, try and nap during the day tho xx

Tegan was exactly the same till she was 5/6 weeks, i was an exhausted emotional mess due to lack of sleep as i was up till 4am every morning! we then started bathing her at 7.30 every night dressing her then i sit quietly and feed her she is usually asleep by 9pm then wakes at 3am asleep again by 3.30 and up at 6.30am it gets better Hun x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back