Dating scan - a few quessies?

Small Flower

Reaction score
Hi girls,

I've got my dating scan tomorrow - scared and exciting at the same time!

This is my first pg, so not sure what to expect, so i have a few questions:

My 2 x stepkids want to come along (9 & 7) will they be allowed?

I assume I need to remove my belly button ring (silly question maybe!)?

Will they let me have a picture etc as its only a dating scan?

Is there a difference between a dating scan and a 12 wk scan - as in if I am 12wks + will they do all the normal things (whatever they are) they would normally do in a 12 week scan?

If I'm only say 9wks - will I still get a 12wk scan?

At what stage (say for instance 7wks) can they tell much from the scan?

Hmm thats a lot of questions isn't it! Soooo excited I am!

hi hun a dating scan is just a normal scan, i would check with the hospital about the step kids, at my hospital u were only allowed one person in the room, i think if you have this scan the next with be the anomily scan at 20 weeks, hope that helps

I left both my belly button rings in, they put the insturment below your belly button practically on your pubes! lol

of course they let you have pictures! i asked for 6 and i got 11!

the 12 week scan is the dating scan i think

If I'm only say 9wks - will I still get a 12wk scan? yes my friend did, because they wanted to look again, i went to my 12 week scan and found out i was 15 weeks so no chance of another scan for me!

im not sure how much they can tell but i assume they will get all the info they can from the scan.

Check with the hospital first. My hospital ask that you only bring children if its absolutely necessary.

Don't know, sorry.

I expect so! You may have to pay for them though.

Is there a difference between a dating scan and a 12 wk scan - as in if I am 12wks + will they do all the normal things (whatever they are) they would normally do in a 12 week scan?

The 12 week scan is normally the dating scan. If you are 12 weeks then this scan will be the 12 week one. If you are only 7 weeks I would have thought you'd have another one at 12 weeks but again it will be whatever the hospital policy is.

As above.

I had a scan at 7+6 and you could see the heartbeat. They measured the fetus and that determined the dates. Thats all they can do really at such an early stage.

I can't answer your questions any better than the girls above but just wanted to say good luck meeting your bean tomorrow!!

Share the pics :D :hug: xxx

Small Flower said:

Depends. Most of the rooms are small and filled with stuff and the hospital usually limit how many people can come in. My scan they requested children be left with someone else and only one person to come with and sit in.

Small Flower said:

Check with the hospital department.

Small Flower said:

Usually, if you ask at the start. Some request payment. We had to pay £6 for our scan pics at our NHS hospital.

Small Flower said:

The dating scan is usually the 12 week scan. Having an earlier one for emergency reasons is not a dating scan.

Small Flower said:

That depends on your NHS trust and its policy. You need to ask. Some won't worry about having another scan if you are dated at say 10 weeks or so.

Small Flower said:

Not much that early on. Hence them tending to go on womens dates and get a dating scan around 12 weeks.

They should be but maybe best to check with the hospital...

At this stage you shouldn't have to but will have to later.,..

This varies depending on the hospital. but again they should allow u to have at least one.

If I'm only say 9wks - will I still get a 12wk scan? Dating scans are normally done between 10/12 weeks where it is easiest to measure the baby from crown to rump to give an accurate date.

At what stage (say for instance 7wks) can they tell much from the scan? I had a scan at 7+6 days and it was a blob, at 9+6 days it was a little mini bambino with hands and feet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back