Cutting out only (afternoon) nap

kumber

Reaction score
How old was your lo when you cut out the afternoon nap so they didn't sleep in the day at all? Not sure if we're at this point yet but wanted your thoughts. DS1 is 2 now so might still be a touch too young.

My dd1 is 2 and a half now and I can't even think about dropping her nap cos she defo still needs it. If he is still needing it I would leave him to it x

I'm thinking the same but didn't know the average age for dropping them. He's ok with missing the odd one but I don't think he'd cope without any naps. He has a 2 hour nap (often more if I don't notice the time) and will still sleep a solid 12 hours at night.

I was told 2.5 is average, but mine is 29 months and still naps 2-3 hours in the afternoons, although she only gets 1 hour on nursery days. We do on occasion skip the nap to enable a full day out, but she is usually shattered and cranky that evening so we don't do it too often. She tells us every day that she doesn't need a nap! I'm hoping she'll have them for some time yet...

We dropped DDs nap at about 2.5 and cut it back to only 1hr before that because more made her wide awake at bed time. At 2.5 without a nap she was pretty cranky by the end of the day but it worked best for us. She was always hard work to put to sleep and doing it in the afternoon for only an hrs nap wasn't really worth it when she slept better at night without a nap. If a nap and a full nights sleep is still working for you I'd stick with it as long as you can!

My son turns 4 in November and still naps over lunchtime. He has the odd day where we let me not have one, but he still needs one as it really shows by the end of the day when he goes without.

My lb stopped them himself between a year and a half and 2. It just got to the stage i was putting him to bed and he wasnt tired. Just screamed to get put. So i let him stay up and he was grand. X

I know kids who still nap at his age tho and hes 4. Nearly 5. Just depends how they sleep through the night too

That's all really helpful, thank you ladies :)

Also, congratulations on your surprise bfp MummyBee! :dust:

Last edited:
We have a boy who stopped sleeping during his nap before he was 2. We'd put him in bed and he would just be singing or playing with his teddy bear for an hour, so we stopped.
There are 3-year-olds who still really need the extra sleep though, best look if your child needs it or not.

My son stopped at two. Now if we are out in the car and us tired he might fall asleep for 20-30 mins but any longer than that we have problems with him going to sleep at night. He's now 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back