Crying at bedtime

mermaid

Reaction score
I've had to leave Finley crying as I'm starting to feel sick with feeling anxious every night. He just won't settle even after a few feeds, he crys and crys. I can't hold him and I can't leave him in the cot - I don't know what to do next! His crying makes me feel so tense. Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions? :? I know I have posted before about bedtime but it is becoming more of a battle, it is taking all evening to get him off to sleep, and then he wakes after an hour.

:hug: :hug: i know exactly how youre feeling emma is the same she screams before goingto sleep whether its in the day or night, a few days ago we started to try control crying at bedtime and this has worked quite well so far so good, but she is nearly 9 months old now and i wouldnt have done it any earlier, what i had to do was hold her tightly when she was screaming until she had fallen asleep, it was so frustrating and i would end up in tears a lot ofthe time, and i was so nervous that my neighbours would phone social services on me because of her screaming. i asked my HV why she was like this and she said she had never heard of anything like that before and was no help at all.
keep your chin up and PM if you need a chat :hug: :hug:

What time do you put him down Mermaid?
I had this problem with Tom and wondered whether it was because he'd got himself overtired.
Now what I do is feed him his solids at about 5.30pm, bath him at 6pm and have him all ready for bed at 6.30pm when I give him his bottle.
I used to start giving him his bottle at about 6.50pm and it was just that little bit too late. Since I've moved things back, it's been much easier to settle him. Maybe worth a try? x

mermaid said:
I've had to leave Finley crying as I'm starting to feel sick with feeling anxious every night. He just won't settle even after a few feeds, he crys and crys. I can't hold him and I can't leave him in the cot - I don't know what to do next! His crying makes me feel so tense. Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions? :? I know I have posted before about bedtime but it is becoming more of a battle, it is taking all evening to get him off to sleep, and then he wakes after an hour.

I KNOW WHERE YOU'RE COMING FROM. i hate hearing my kids cry and i have to stop them crying at all costs. :(

try laying on your bed with him close by shhhhhhh 'ing in his ear and patting his bum.
it works for mine.

Aww poor little mite - is he ok the rest of the time or could he be teething?

As budge says - I do exactly the same to Arianna if she wont settle, lie on my bed with the lights off cuddling in til she drops off and then I carry her through to her cot.

mermaid is he hungry?

try giving him some cereal before he has his milk. he might be waking coz he is hungry.

check the room temp too. is it too hot/cold? :hug:

I have the exact problem with my sonwho wouldnt sleep in his cot, he would have to sleep in our bed.
I started putting him in his cot and massaging his feet and singing to him till he fell asleep which takes about an hour.
He would then wake after about an hour and i would do the same thing again.I have gradually got it down to 15 mins singing which i bet the neighbours are relieved :) but there are some odd times where he has to come in bed as he is so upset

Thank you for your suggestions. The last couple of nights I have got him off to sleep well by cuddling on my bed and singing to him! Haha don't know what my OH thinks, probably that I have finally lost it. I do think he would be better going to bed earlier than 7pm but he would then be up about 5 in the morning! The solid food definitely helps his sleep now which is great.

Poor you, what a nightmare and I can totally understand how stressful it is. Think the other ladies have given you some excellent advice. I'd also suggest using the Baby whisperer method of picking up and putting down. I used it for Rowan when he wouldn't sleep and it actually helped bothof us as it stopped me getting quite so stressed which babies do pick up on.
Take care and hope he settles into a good routine soon :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back