crib and cot bumpers- opinions

Moofa

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering what your opinions were on crib and cot bumpers?

I was going to get one and make up the crib as a surprise for DH (he has already built the crib and it is at the bottom of our bed) but was then reading about the saftey issues of them on this site http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recall ... safety.htm along with other sites.

Mx

DS has had cot bumpers ever since he was first put into his cot at about 3 months old, they are supposed to get dangerous around the time they can move around in there cot i am told, but if they werent there he would constantly be banging his head on the bars.

I think its down to your choice.

I think they are meant to be a hazzard up to 1 year as can a cot duvet. Personally I never used one - they seemed an unnecessary expense to me and I was broke at the time. Will be unlikely to get one this time but I think they do complete the look of a nursery and of course protect the baby from banging his head on the bars but I didn't get that problem with my son.

I guess at the end of the day - like so many things about child rearing - it's up to the parents!

Here's what the The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths (FSID) says about cot bumpers:

Can I use a cot bumper for my baby?
In the past, there were concerns that bumpers might make babies too hot, increasing the risk of cot death. However, research has shown that they have neither good nor bad effects. Take it out when your baby can get up on her hands and knees so she can’t climb out. Make sure there are no trailing strings or ties.

I don't go for cot bumpers at all tbh. I don't think they are needed. I prefer cots with solid ends and side bars. I don't like cots with bars on all 4 sides.

Yes LO may bump their head but tbh that has only happened rarely with all the babies I've looked after.

I think you have to decide if you are ok with the risks of cot bumpers. Modern cots don't have a big enough gap for a baby to get stuck in so I can't really see the point in them.

I did have one for Rebekah, but she slept with me from the day she was born, and is still sleeping with me four years later! I don't think they're a necessesity, and won't be getting one for this baby. I admit I didn't know they were a risk until you pointed it out! xxx

i have one, but only because it came as part of a bedding set, i will be using it, tbh i knwo we all care about our babies but if i followed all the stuff they say might hurt him he'd have no life.
It'll only in up whilst hes small and tied properly so i dont see a problem

I never bothered with one for James cos at that time the health bods were saying they were dangerous. As someone else has said I think they have now changed their mind on this.

I won't get one this time either though as I think they are for decoration more than anything. James did ok without one and never bumped his head or got his arms stuck.
Seeing as babies are supposed to sleep with their feet to the bottom of the cot it wouldn't stop them bumping their head anyway

I've never bothered, they're just something else to buy that you don't really need. I heard they also stop the air circulating around the cot too.

Hi,

I got one for my second baby, but removed it when she started tugging at it etc. It did stop her banging her head but they need to be tied on pretty firmly.

You've got me thinking now - not sure where it is, I'd forgotten I had it!!!

muppetmummy said:
Seeing as babies are supposed to sleep with their feet to the bottom of the cot it wouldn't stop them bumping their head anyway

Thanks for the advice. I was a bit confused too, like muppetmummy says above if babies are supposed to be placed at the bottom of the crib/cot how would it stop them bumping there head :think:

Mx

:think: I'm not sure what to think on this one. I'm thinking of putting my baby in a cot in her own room from day one. I saw on a program once and this nanny said there is no need for moses baskets etc and theres no reason why the baby shouldn't sleep in their own room right from the start. I will do some research and ask the midwife about this before she is born though.

Also, if bumpers are dangerous then you would think moses baskets would be really dangerous as they have no bars/ventilation at all.

xJodieLoux said:
:think: I'm not sure what to think on this one. I'm thinking of putting my baby in a cot in her own room from day one. I saw on a program once and this nanny said there is no need for moses baskets etc and theres no reason why the baby shouldn't sleep in their own room right from the start. I will do some research and ask the midwife about this before she is born though.

I think that fair enough, just be prepared for lots of tooing and frooing for feeds etc. The only Mum I've ever known try it gave up after a few nights as she had almost zero sleep due to feeds etc in the beginning. She did start again once her LO was sleeping 4 hours plus but that took a little while.

I also feel that sleeping near Mum in the room, Mum kind of acts on instinct and is tuned in to LO being disturbed or something being wrong. Whereas in another room there might not been that same thing even if Mum is sleeping lightly. I think it comes down to what you feel comfortable with and how you and LO go with feeds etc. If you are being woken every 90 minutes or 2 hours, you may find it too much to keep dragging yourself out of bed in those early weeks.

hiya

i had a bumper for both mine and was very handy really, you are supposed to put them at the bottom of the crib but they do get into some funny positions they don't stay in the same place and it keeps there head warm,

for putting them in their own roomi didn't put mine in their own room till they were 8 months, i do think for the first week your out of hospital you should have them in your room, both of mine would stop breathing in the middle of the night and if they weren't in my room i wouldn't have noticed, all they needed was a little rub

take care x

Eefies was only down one side of his cot bed to stop his dummies falling through tha bars and when he started to pull himself up to stop him hitting his head so hard.
Only took it off a couple of days ago as he's trying to use it to climb out now.

Eefies was only down one side of his cot bed to stop his dummies falling through tha bars and when he started to pull himself up to stop him hitting his head so hard.
Only took it off a couple of days ago as he's trying to use it to climb out now.

my mum didn't use them with any of us and had said to me she was worried about the ties dangling down and baby getting caught in them..

i still haven't really decided whether to use them or not..

my mum didn't use them with any of us and had said to me she was worried about the ties dangling down and baby getting caught in them..

i still haven't really decided whether to use them or not..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back