Credit cards

Hunnie

Reaction score
Good idea if used wisely or stay clear??

Fine if used wisely. Just don't over spend on them xx

I have absolutely no credit rating whatsoever, mainly due to not having a phone bill in my own name etc and I'm thinking that I need to start to get one.

If a credit card says it has 16 months 0% does that mean each minimum payment each month up until 16 months has no interested added to it? So say I paid off the sum of money on the credit card over 2 months then I wouldn't pay interest on any of it? X

Depending on what you use it for. Just look into all the different ones that are available. My husband just got one, without me knowing but I can't be angry as he did a fair bit of research first. The benefits of his credit card over his bank card are
- Money back on pounds sterling spend (Don't fully understand but I'm pretty thick at times)
- Protection when spending over £100
- 0% interest for the first 12 months
- Commission free transactions abroad, compared to the 2% commission on a bank card.

Just make sure that you make monthly repayments and don't go over what you can afford to pay back.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much not for them. The temptation to spend outwith your means is there. I've seen it happen loads from working in a bank to close friends racking up loads of debt. If you can be really strict with it then they can be useful especially if you're ordering online as your payments are protected xxx

I'm pretty much not for them. The temptation to spend outwith your means is there. I've seen it happen loads from working in a bank to close friends racking up loads of debt. If you can be really strict with it then they can be useful especially if you're ordering online as your payments are protected xxx

That what I was thinking as well, it scares me using mine or OHs debit card online in fear of us being hacked etc and then someone stealing all our money.

I think I need to have a good read up on them before I go down that route.

I personally wouldn't get one myself. I wouldn't trust myself with one. I'd rather spend within my means and not risk getting in debt. But if you're certain you make the monthly repayments and it'll help your credit score then it should be ok x

Tapatalking :)

Fine if used wisely.

Infact, we got turned down for a mortgage because OH had never had a credit card! so we had to go get one!

X

We have a couple for when we buy big things but we pay them off straight away. It gives you more protection when you buy with a credit card. We arent ones for buying what we cant afford so never been a problem with overspending!!
xxx

I have an "in case of emergency" credit card. Always been sensible with it. Used it to book hols in the past, buy pressies at Xmas for people I hadn't factored into my budget etc.

Depends on how you use them. I had 3 credit cards but only use one of them so cancelled the other two. I didn't have a credit card until I was 35 as I didn't need one. I only tend to use it for holidays as it offers protection and I never put on it more than what's in my bank account so I can pay off in full and not pay interest. One thing to note is that if you have a few and apply for a mortgage/loan, they don't calculate what's outstanding on the cards, but the total credit limit which can prevent you from being successful in your loan/mortgage.

For me personally, worst thing I ever did. Got my first at 18. Wracked up 5k of debt. Came clean to my parents and they paid it off fortunately. Got another at 21 and slowly racked up another few thousand, paid it off. Now 28 years old and have just paid off a whopping 11k of credit card debit. Stupid i know. Today I paid off my last 3k and am now free of credit cards! Never again.

Since I found out I was pregnant I've done a complete u turn with money and become sensible and saved enough to pay it off. I don't have anything to show for my debt!

Defo ok if used wiseley.
I have 2, one i only pay minimum payments and so nothing is really being paid Me and my oh at the time needed to buy stuff for our new flat whe we moved in otherwise wed have nothing.

I would never ever have one. We save to buy things, we didn't have a sofa for 6 months, then got a second hand one now. We might not have much, but its all ours . If you know you can be 100% strict and careful it makes sense to protect yourself when buying online etc

We have one that if we put stuff on one it gets paid off as soon as payday comes before we get anything else. Tbh we very rarely use it except today when I booked my scan on one but I've budgeted for that next month. We've never not paid it off or bought something on it we can't afford to pay off very quickly. Oh particularly hates debt even if it's for a couple of weeks. I'd definitely say fine for a reserve if used wisely if you're tempted easily though stay clear! X

We got a credit card in oh's name when we first bought our house as we needed to buy a new boiler £900 but before we knew it we had spen 3k on it! We spent the following year living off oh's wages whilst I paid off the credit card ( we also bought a kitchen on buy now pay later that I was paying off) at the time neither of us were on particularly great wages and it was a struggle to get buy some months but needed to pay it off whilst still in the 0% interest period. I now have my own credit card but I'm really strict with it and pay it off each month so never get stung by interest and also get cash back on it tbh I mainly got it incase we need to pay any major vet bills (we have alot of animals) oh no longer has a credit card as he knows he's not great with money as it is

I personally wouldn't get one myself. I wouldn't trust myself with one. I'd rather spend within my means and not risk getting in debt. But if you're certain you make the monthly repayments and it'll help your credit score then it should be ok x

Tapatalking :)

WSS.

I did buy my car on finance though which is now all paid off & has boosted my credit score :)

Using tapatalk so excuse the typos! & I can't see tickers

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back