Crazy dog behavior

skatty

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone knows about about canine behaviour but my german shepherd drives us all mad when in the car! She looks out for and starts to bark hysterically at the red and white chevron signs on the motorway slipways :wall: We used to think maybe they scared her but now realise she seems to be playing a game so if we are not on the motorway she will choose something else like some cars (don't know what it is about the ones she's choosing) or people on bikes or even girls with blond hair! Its awful! She loves going for a drive and we decided before getting a og that she will be part of the family and come with us anywhere we go that she is allowed but sometimes I just want to blindfold and muzzel her in the car! My DH even blacked out the back windoes on our little mazda banger so we now look like a couple of 30 something wannabee racers :lol:

Any ideas greatly welcomed! Also have any of your animals got any crazy habits?

LOL I know it must drive you mad but she sounds like such a character!

I dont really know what to suggest, but maybe you could start scolding her when she does this, and have a bag of treats in the car for when shes being quiet?

If its boredom on journeys maybe give her a great big bone to gnaw on instead?

She really does sound like a gem though!

i would reward her when she is being quiet.
scolding can sometimes make the situation worse (even though you do feel like killing her at times :lol: )

or try a distraction method. like play with her through the boot (im guessing she is in the boot) get her faveorite toy and play a small game. but if she starts barking dont play with her, take the toy away and ignore her. then resume when she is quiet again.

if this doesnt work, how about distracting her with a bone or something which she might lie down and chew?

Thanks for your replies but she is not a big foodie so treats don't work :roll: We've tried the bone but even that isn't as much fun as the sign game! We don't tell her off because this can make them think they are right to bark and if I praise her when she doesn't do it she realises she missed one and is extra alert for the next :wall:

GGG yes she is a real charachter and super intelligent, we always say we are lucky really that this is the biggest problem we have with her but when you are not expecting it you can jump a mile! even when she's not in the car I feel myself tensing when I see a sign :lol:

IMG_0815.jpg

aww shes gorgeous, and she definitely has a very wise look about her!

I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid, but our dog (she died a few years ago) used to hate getting wet. If we took her out in the rain, she'd walk on the kerb, or on double yellow lines so her feet wouldn't get so wet :?

tracyM said:
I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid, but our dog (she died a few years ago) used to hate getting wet. If we took her out in the rain, she'd walk on the kerb, or on double yellow lines so her feet wouldn't get so wet :?

Aww what a little lady :)

GGG Princess was totally cheesed off in that pic that's why I love it! It's her mummy doesn't play with me now Leorah's here look :cry:

have you tried a rattle bottle?

sometimes, if my dogs are doing something which is not acceptable, and tehre being stubborn, i shake a rattle bottle. just a milk bottle with stones in. alot of dogs dont like it, so it may discourage her from barking when in the car.

shes a stunner :)

I cant remember what these things are called but they are like a big chewy tube that you put dog bisuits etc in and they have to really work to get the biscuits out, most dogs seem to love them!

Maybe someone knows what im on about and what they are called?

She has things like that but the problem is she isn't into dog treats :roll: She really doesn't eat as much as she is supposed to and I have to put chicken liver pate on her dog biscuits just to make sure she eats them as she is very energetic and loses weight quickly. I think we just have to put up with this game as she is as focused as a poker player when in the car and nothing will distract her :lol:

my sasha is a fussy eater too.

but she has suspected colitis which will explain why she is small for her breed.

we feed her dog buiscuits with naturdiet chicken and rice. she eats the lot down now:)

might be worth trying if your girl is a picky eater :)

glitzyglamgirl said:
I cant remember what these things are called but they are like a big chewy tube that you put dog bisuits etc in and they have to really work to get the biscuits out, most dogs seem to love them!

Maybe someone knows what im on about and what they are called?

I think your on about a kong. If you buy one of these make sure to get the actuall ones called Kongs because every other one i've tried with my dog, the food doesnt wash out properly and they go horrible :?

Try melting some cheese in one, roll it around so it coats the inside, let it cool then feed it..keeps them entertained for ages :D Also marmite!

Aaawwwww your pooch is gorgeous skatty :)
Our dog is treated like you do yours, he comes most places with us in the car, but he's very quiet.
On 'Its me or the Dog', there were a couple of dogs who did the barking at things outside the car windows, like yours.
To stop it they hung blankets over all the side, back windows, and in the partition between front and back seats.
Everytime the dogs barked the blankets were hung up, eventually, as they were seeing nothing when they barked, they stopped barking.
Don't know if you could do this? but very best wishes, your dog is indeed a character and much like a toddler I guess with the chatter in the back :lol:

Best Wishes :hug:

Thans for all the ideas :D

We tried the money in a tin when she was a puppy to discourage her jumping up at people but she thought it was a great game :roll: She is not like any other dogs, she is the only dog I know that sits at the window to watch fireworks :lol:

Redshoes the blanket is a great idea as she actually looks over the back seat and through the windscreen so if she couldn't do this she would just lie down (she lies down when we are in a traffic jam).

She does just sound like such a special dog indeed Skatty, and I do hope for your ears sake that the barking calms down, best wishes and let us know how it goes :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back