crappy midwife appointment!

littlesmoosh

Reaction score
i cannot express how much i hate student midwifes!!!! a few months ago i had one who took my bloods four times before getting anythng and left me looking like a junkie! and today i got one who told me my bump had shrunk by 2cms and the babys head was now floating free (after it having been engaged)! she also took my blood pressure and pumped the thing up so tight on my arm that i thought my arm was gunna fall off.. needless to say my blood pressure was through the roof.
luckily my proper midwife did a double check.. and actually the bump had grown by a centimetre and his head is still very well engaged and my blood pressure is just fine, thankyou very much!!!

if there is a student present at the birth of my baby they will be getting telt to eff off!

That's horrible, mine just tries to avoid any communication bar appointments scheduled with me if possible and takes 1-2 weeks to reply to questions.

my actual midwife isnt too bad.. its just the students that suck.
but thats awful about your midwife :(
i always assumed that our midwifes would kinda be like our rock throughout our pregnancies, but turns out its not really like that eh :( x

not at all, this forum has been my rock, pretty much any question or anxiety has been answered by it even that awful experience of computer says no I had with my glucose test fail the other day heh.

couldnt agree more, love this forum!!! think i'll deffo stay on it after ive had the lil one and just change to the baby and toddler section! <3 x

My midwife just does the routine check ups etc and thats it! Any questions have been answered on here and generally speaking i'm really glad that i have had such an easy pregnancy so far!

If i hadnt god knows what would have happened!

Dont get me wrong i think my MW is lovely but as for any info etc ive got better info from the net!

x

I think my midwives are rubbish too, every time I have been I have seen a different one! They just do the usual checks and never tell me anything, I always have to ask the questions. Because of the lack of information they provide, my antenatal classes go up to 2 weeks before my due date as June classes were fully booked, not impressed! I think it is really bad especially when it is your first baby and you expect them to guide you. I have found out most things from on here and speaking to my best friend who has kids. x

I think sometimes all mw's can struggle to find baby's position! My own mw told me last week that baby was free floating at first after he was 2/5ths engaged the week before, and then changed her mind and said he was very nicely engaged and she got confused by his shoulders. It must be a hard thing to work out! Plus my bump was measuring 3cm smaller than it should be, think its because he has engaged now.

I do find the support from my mw a big disappointment and get so much more help on here, but I do understand that student mw's have got to get the hands on experience and wouldn't be against having one deliver my baby xx

I actually don't think MWs get the credit they deserve...

A student was allowed to take your bloods?? We're not, in fact we have to take a seperate course once we qualify for us to be allowed to take blood!!

Thanks baby em :) we work very hard but am very sorry for people's poor experiences and rest assured I give my women fabulous care and please pm me any questions you have and will be happy to answer.

As a student midwife you do learn to take blood and it's one of the competencies of the course xx

Thanks baby em :) we work very hard but am very sorry for people's poor experiences and rest assured I give my women fabulous care and please pm me any questions you have and will be happy to answer.

As a student midwife you do learn to take blood and it's one of the competencies of the course xx

You're very welcome! :)
Yes there are some silly MW but its the same in any profession!!
Really? I thought it was the same as for student nurses. I suppose it's a good thing in a way, more practice! I've had qualified nurse who have done my blood and done a poor job, but to be fair, until you've tried taking blood you really can't complain, it can be very hard apparantly!! x

Well my midwife was so sweet today, she tried to solve some bad issues I've had some my faith is reenstated but I wouldn't have known about the OC test if it wasn't for thisf orum.

I'm sure there are plenty of excellent midwives out there, it's just unfortunate that the ones I have had have not been helpful. Like you say, in every profession there's good and bad. x

I really like my midwife and am able to be open with her and she has called me within a day of Ive ever called with a question.
Ive also had a couple of student midwifes have a look at e and do the basics with my midwife present.
I dont really mind as I understand they have to learn somewhere! As long as they are supervised I dont see the issue - Im actually considering it as a profession!
Just awaiting the birth first haha

I've been considering midwifery since becoming pregnant as an extra year at the end of my nurse training. I don't think I could be an arse cos I would totally sympathise with all the crappy bits! x

i just think if it was my second or third baby or whatever then it wouldnt matter so much, but with it being my first and me being petrified of every little thing, i shouldnt have students making things scarier! they gutta learn somewhere, but it aint gunna be on me!! xx

I had my first student mw examination last week. She was a lovely girl and she got my regular mw to check baby too, which I was pleased about. Turns out mine is the first breech baby she has felt, and was sure that's what he was, just wanted it confirmed.

I don't mind students, but I do like the reassurance of a fully qualified person checking after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back