• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cot bumpers

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
We have never used then due to not wanting smothering Tyler, but he's started kicking and banging against the bars of his cot and head boards. Does the risk increase or decrease with age?
He is such a wriggler! I've also read they can use then to climb out the cot!

Please no I use them my babies fine comments as I'd hate for someone to tempt fate iykwim?

I have seen individual bar wraps but they are really expensive. Anyone r know of any cheaper ones?

You can get mesh bumpers that they can breathe through if they shove their face in them but apart from that I have no idea sorry hun. I think I need to get a cot sorted for Albert with the next week or so and I'm worried about using bumpers too xxxxxxxx

I thought about the mesh ones but I'd assume they aren't that padded?

He fell asleep like this earlier (crap pic) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341644216.115071.jpg his head was right against the board!

My LO does this all the time, unfortunately I dont think there is much that can be done.
I never used bumpers in his cot because I had read that they can use them to climb out (and believe me this one would LOL) or be pulled off and smother the baby. I just never trusted that they were safe beyond a few months old.
I think as long as he is not actually hurting himself/waking up crying then it's just something he'll grow out of, that's what i'm hoping for my little man :shock:
As they get older and gain soem spacial awareness they should stop crashing into the cot at night :pray:

I have a mesh one as Emilia is always fidgeting up so her head is right against the bars or headboard they are only slightly padded but do the job. She also wacks her hands and legs against it to and so far no crying. I got mine from kiddicare. The mesh ones are also can't be used to climb out as they just calapse (sorry my spelling is rubbish lol)

Last edited:
Albert sleeps on his back but with his face shoved in the side of the basket. Isn't it something about feeling like they are back in the womb? Although I would like to think mine wasn't made of wood lol

Just had a look at the bar bumpers and they would be really easy to make if you know someone with a sewing machine! This site has 30% off them

http://www.bumpsters.co.uk/cot-bumpers

It's one of those personal choice things again.

I've got one as it come with the bedding set and I put it on when getting the room ready as it looked pretty!

I have decided to leave it on as even though she sleeps mostly still, there are times when she wriggles up the the top of the cot she can hit the sides with some force.

On tapatalk so can't see tickers :-(
Excuse the typos, phone has mind of its own.

One of the nurses told us that thtey are in the process of taking cot bumpers out of stores in Canada. i'm not sure if they will be illegal, but you won't be able to purchase them. I think that says enough about them. If he's not getting upset, I wouldn't worry about it. Xx

Albert sleeps on his back but with his face shoved in the side of the basket. Isn't it something about feeling like they are back in the womb? Although I would like to think mine wasn't made of wood lol

Just had a look at the bar bumpers and they would be really easy to make if you know someone with a sewing machine! This site has 30% off them

http://www.bumpsters.co.uk/cot-bumpers

I'd need 4 packs!!!!!! Screw that lol! I'm
Afraid no one I know owns a sewing machine! Damn!

It doesn't seem to hurt him I suppose just want to make sure he's cosy lol!

One of the nurses told us that thtey are in the process of taking cot bumpers out of stores in Canada. i'm not sure if they will be illegal, but you won't be able to purchase them. I think that says enough about them. If he's not getting upset, I wouldn't worry about it. Xx

I'm glad to hear that as I'm sure some family members think I'm being paranoid when I refuse to have things like that!

Try Air wraps, they are brilliant- totally breathable so 100% safe and the deluxe ones are padded. I have to say though, my lo just stopped moaning about a little bump, or getting his arm stuck as they get used to their surroundings.

I thought the risk increased with mobility in that if they wriggle more they can actually get trapped between the bumper and the cot. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

The mesh is to stop them sticking their legs through bars and breaking them rather than to protect bumps. Will's head hit the top of the cot this morning with a real bang! He didn't cry but there was a read Mark there, not nice. x

Jack has one at the head end of his cot but wriggles so much he usually ends up down the bottom end lol. He has knocked himself in his sleep but never hard enough to wake himself. Like others have said, it's yet another personal choice x

I've got a regular bumper but there's an inch gap between it and the mattress I'm hoping that'll make it a bit safer.

We have airwrap ones hun- ethan does same as Tyler! They r quite good and we personally feel they r safe as velcro on strongly, let air thru so don't overheat, they can breathe thru them and they collapse if they try to climb on them! The ones we have aren't majorly padded but I do think they help to a degree. With ur cot u wouldnt b able to use them on head board tho coz not slatted- 2 sides r about £25 I think xxx

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry, if he banged his head against a bumper there not THAT padded so it would still hurt, so I'm sure he'll know not to do it and i doubt he'll ever bang it that hard. As for leaning against it sleeping, he'll be fine. I think if your not 110% comfortable with something then don't do it, you'll only worry xx

I heard about the risk of suffocation with these, but am wondering if it's not for younger babies with less mobility? I can't imagine a 6 month old not being able to move away if they can't breathe...? Or am I completely mistaken? :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back