• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Costs involved in loft conversion.

chickadee1976

Reaction score
We are planning to convert our loft.
Meaning adding a staircase, dormer and ensuite .

Anyone any idea how much this will cost

Hmmmm I seem to recall one we did going back a few years, being about £15,000 all up.

Dormer window will add to the cost is why. I'd look at Velux ones also as a much cheaper option. And often don't require planning permission wheras a dormer does IIRC.

I think to get any true idea in the current market you'd have to get some plans done, builders in to quote etc and go from there. And check planning regs :)

Good luck

depends how you do it, my dad acutally built most of ours himself, got planning permission etc and did it all to spec but cos he did most of the work by himself and with the help of his dad it didnt cost THAT much to do, however it was a long time ago, his dads now been dead for nearly ten years and battled cancer for a while before.

I do think they're worth it if you get them done properly and do what you can yourself. Our one here (we didnt build this one) was done poorly and you can tell when it came to making it half decent, it's less then 2 years old but the walls were cracked, windows in poor condition, none of the walls are flat, we added some extra wall (i wont try and explain why and where) which is all lovely and smooth and the original wall is curved :roll:
they also added a plasterboard but to one side of the chimney breast but not the other, i coudlnt understand why tbh, you'd want symetry, and as we'ver just redecorated couldnt find any reason for this.

It's added value to our house and i love the fact i have my own little level, it gives a little added privacy.

We got quotes before Christmas for one - we want to put in stairs, a dormer, large bathroom and 1 or 2 bedrooms - the quotes were all around 30 - 40 000 pounds :(
We're leaving it for a bit............

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back