Cord blood donation?

nope! i always made the midwife wait till mine had stopped pulsating before clamping it as that way the baby gets all the good stuff.

Oh not heard of that, I don't know what happened with me as I had a c-section. I was just told that it was as really beneficial thing to do for other babies.

Ive nver heard of that either, but it sounds like a really good thing to do! If.......sorry WHEN I get pregnant I'll look into that :D

I was asked before I had Ryan, good for prem babies or something so I thought it a nice thing to do seeing as I wasn't going to need it anymore. :lol:

The hospital here cryogenically froze the stem cells in Thea's cord in case she needs them later in life (due to cancer etc) It's expensive but it was covered in the birth costs by Richards company or we wouldn't have had it done. They are kept in a lab in Austria and after 10 years we will have to decide whether to pay for them to stay frozen oursleves or have them destroyed or donated.

Melanie said:
The hospital here cryogenically froze the stem cells in Thea's cord in case she needs them later in life (due to cancer etc) It's expensive but it was covered in the birth costs by Richards company or we wouldn't have had it done. They are kept in a lab in Austria and after 10 years we will have to decide whether to pay for them to stay frozen oursleves or have them destroyed or donated.
Oh wow, that's amazing!

I was thinking about this as the adverts say 'its not as costly as you might think'

But I read its £1500 for 25 years of storage.

Much as I would love to be able to do that we just don't have that sort of money available.

And that makes its worse in a way, knowing that if there was ever a need then I would feel awful about not shelling out the money.

Although at the moment there isn't that much they can do with them, so really its a promise for future cures etc.

budge said:
nope! i always made the midwife wait till mine had stopped pulsating before clamping it as that way the baby gets all the good stuff.

The MW's at our parentcraft classes advised us to do that - I was all for having the injection and getting the placenta out and clamped as quick as possible, but they pointed out that studies have shown that if you wait, the baby is less likely to develop anemia. We had really great MW's!

when i read this i really liked the idea of doing this. then when i read about letting your baby get all the good stuff it made me think, give it away or help my baby be healthy.

hmm

I hadn't heard of that before, sounds a bit strange them not having mentioned that part so I'll be asking about it that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back