• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

cooking treats for halloween or bonfire??

lisa&alex

Reaction score
anyone into cooking treats for them??

we dont make a huge deal out of it tbh.. but this year next door are having a bonfire and we said we would go over for hotdogs and toasted marshmallows so think i might make toffee apples

Ingredients
For the toffee coating
225g demerara sugar
110ml water
0.5 tsp vinegar
2 tbsp golden syrup
25g butter
For the apples
6 dessert apples
6 wooden skewers, for holding the apples – ice lolly sticks will do

Method
1. Dissolve the sugar in the water over a moderate heat. When it has dissolved, stir in the vinegar, syrup and butter. Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until it reaches hard-crack stage (138C) or hardens into a ball when dropped in a jug of cold water. This should take around 10 minutes boiling time.

2. While the syrup is cooking, pierce each apple with a wooden stick. Once the toffee is ready, dip each apple into the hot toffee, turning it around in the syrup so that each one is fully coated.

3. Leave to harden on a lightly oiled tray before serving. If you're planning to keep them for a day or two, wrap the apples in cellophane.

and this is a bit higgeldy piggeldy but i make cupcakes for the kids for halloween and paint spider webs on them.. we grew our own pumpkins next door this year.. from seeds ive had for a few years (next door were doing a veggy patch and had space left.. and it was brill from 6 seeds came 6 plants and 5 pumpkins! and they are huge too.. so ive told alex im having a pumpkin patch next year and im gonna grow some noram squashes coz i love them roasted..

Im making gingerbread men & women with jelly babies in there bellies :lol:

Any Scottish ladies got a tablet recipe?

If we're doing requests, I need a nice biscuit recipe that I can use halloween shaped cutters on. Mason and Brody are gonna decorate them. :D

I'm not scottish, just an intruder :lol:

Tablet, is that like kendall mint cake?

Minxy i love tablet! I've used this recipe a few times, its lovely but nowhere near as good as my grans (but thats probably just because i made it lol)

2 lbs of White Sugar
225ml of Milk
2 oz of Butter
1/2 a 400g Tin of Sweetened Condensed Milk

Put into the sugar, milk and butter into a pan and bring to the boil slowly for 5 minutes.

Add the 1/2 a tin of condensed milk and boil (still slowly). Turn the boil to a simmer, on the lowest possible heat, and stir it slowly. Never cook this fast - don't be impatient, as it must be done slowly!

Test a teaspoonful in a cup of cold water. If it forms at the bottom of the cup, it is ready. This will take a while. Be careful that it doesn't burn.

Take off the heat and beat until it thickens and is sugary.

Pour into a greased tray and cut into squares when dry (leave it overnight, at least, before cutting).

It beautiful if you add some vanilla essence to it too.

muppetmummy said:

Tablet isnt't minty!!! Tablet is like toffee!

This is the receipe I do!

Scots Tablet

2lbs sugar
1 tin condensed milk
Fill empty milk tin with ordinary milk
4 oz butter or margarine

Method

Melt butter in large pot, add condensed milk, and ordinary milk. Then add the sugar - slowly - a little at a time.
Stir until fully dissolved and boiling. Boil for 30 minutes, still stirring. YOU MUST KEEP STIRRING!!!
Take off the gas and beat for 5 minutes until it thickens.
Pour (quickly) into a pan lined with parchment paper and allow to cool.
With a sharp knife, cut into squares

SarahH said:
muppetmummy said:

Tablet isnt't minty!!! Tablet is like toffee!

Or fudge with WAY too much sugar in it...I can have a little bit but not loads :puke:

Urchin said:
If we're doing requests, I need a nice biscuit recipe that I can use halloween shaped cutters on. Mason and Brody are gonna decorate them. :D

Do you fancy doing gingerbread? I have a nice gingerbread recipe, or Delia has a tasty shortbread recipe (it has semolina in it which gives it a nice texture).

id just buy them from the coop in a box and have to make it that way :lol:

think i had those tablets years and years and years ago lol taste all sugary?

me and charlotte are probably going to do quite a few recipes, as she is off school halloween week.. and she loves cooking.. give us something to do together.. and gives me something to put in meh tummy :D.. result!.. might try the toffee tablet.. and put brazil nuts in it?? hmmm yum yum.

Kina said:
Urchin said:

Do you fancy doing gingerbread? I have a nice gingerbread recipe, or Delia has a tasty shortbread recipe (it has semolina in it which gives it a nice texture).
I think shortbread would be better as they'll be plastered in icing LOL

Urchin said:
Kina said:
Urchin said:

I think shortbread would be better as they'll be plastered in icing LOL

Here is the link to the recipe (it's the long link as someone needs to teach me how to do those short ones :rotfl: )
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/home ... 87,RC.html
I really like this recipe, the shortbread is really moreish. Not sure if it will be ideal for the biccies but it is tasty and if you don't use it this time you could always use it at Xmas. I know of some people that make shortbread and wrap in cellophane and ribbons for little pressies :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back