Seasonal Recipes for Apples

lisa-marie

Reaction score
My Mum has been given me loads of cooking apples over the last couple of weeks so have found so new receipes and thought I would share them with you as they are yummy:-

Toffee Apple Muffins
Ingredients
2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
80g/2¾oz caster sugar
240ml/8½fl oz milk
100g/3½oz butter, melted
300g/10½oz plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
pinch cinnamon
2 eating apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
200g/7oz shop-bought toffee pieces

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/380F/Gas 5 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Mix the eggs, sugar, milk and melted butter in a large bowl. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into the bowl. Stir well to combine.
3. Add the chopped apple and lightly mix.
4. Using half of the mixture, quarter-fill each of the muffin cases with the mixture and top with a few pieces of toffee. Cover with the remaining filling so the cases are half full.
5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold.

(Tip I got my toffee pieces from Thorntons they were on offer so extra yummy)

Toffee Apple Crumble
Ingredients
For the toffee apples
100ml/3½fl oz water
225g/8oz granulated sugar
30ml/1fl oz golden syrup
30g/1oz unsalted butter
450g/1lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced into wedges
450g/1lb eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced into wedges
For the crumble
150g/5oz plain flour
150g/5oz unsalted butter
150g/5oz demerara sugar
For the custard
6 free-range egg yolks
75g/2½oz caster sugar
600ml/1 pint 1½fl oz whole milk
1 vanilla pod, seeds only

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. For the toffee apples, place the water and sugar into a saucepan and slowly bring up to the boil. Reduce the heat once the sugar has melted, add the syrup and butter and then bring up to the boil again, stirring constantly.
3. Turn down the heat, add the apples and cook, stirring gently, until just soft. Place into an ovenproof dish.
4. For the crumble, rub the flour, butter and sugar together in a bowl with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Spoon the crumble evenly over the toffee apple mixture and place in the oven to bake for 15 minutes, or until crisp and golden-brown.
5. For the custard, place the egg yolks and sugar into a bowl. Place the milk and vanilla seeds into a saucepan and bring to the boil, then pour into the egg and sugar mixture. Whisk until well-combined. Return the custard mixture to the saucepan and warm over a low heat until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
6. To serve, divide the crumble between 4-6 serving plates and place a dollop of custard on each.

(Great with ice cream too instead of custard)

Happy Baking - I love cooking so will post more recipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back