Constipation with a difference! TMI Sorry!

EllieBelle

Reaction score
I really need some advice although am likely to be going back to the doctors again tomorrow.

For the past 5 days I have been suffering very badly with trying to have a bowel movement, the problem not being constipation as such but the fact I cannot pass the stools (even the softer ones are too difficult to pass like they are stuck :oops: )........and I just cannot cope with it anymore and spent most of today in tears.

I saw the doctor on Mon who has prescribed Lactulose, but Im doubtful this is going to work once the stools have left the intestines??

Did any of you suffer with this during your pregnancy? If so how did you manage to treat the situation? Since the beginning of my pregnancy I have been as regular as clockwork, and then all of a sudden this :(

I eat high fibre cereal every morning, I eat fruit & veg daily, drink plenty, and am still suffering. Up until now I havent had any real reasons to complain and been in pretty good health, but am finding this current problem really distressing.

Sorry if its too much information, but I badly need some advise :cry:

I didnt suffer but I did drink LOTS of water to help me regular, worth a try?

Boiled water (which has cooled so you can drink it without taking all the skin off your lips!) is really good for constipation. Tastes pretty disgusting in my opinion but works well.

I'd keep trying with the lactulose as well for a little while longer - it might take a couple of days fo everything to start moving in the right direction. Even if they seem a bit softer - they might need a shove in the right direction (without being too graphic if the stools are still very solid higher up behind, your bowels won't be able to contract as effectively to help push everything out).

Hope everything starts moving again for you soon. :hug:

Are you taking Iron tablets or any other tablets with Iron in?

i had similar probs, the dr gave me lactulose solution, it took about 2-3 days to work but it did work :lol:

I'm suffering with the same, not quite as bad as you though by the sounds of it. I also suffer with IBS, so wonder if this just agrevates the problem while pregnant (I'm sure from looking at a previous post you also suffer with IBS).

I'd be interested to hear what people say helps ease this, I think I'm going to try the hot water (mmm :puke: )

Hi there,

I am miss bowels problems!! I have either severe -rare -get blood, agony -and other things IBS or crohns doctors still not sure but in any case i suffer terribly with blimmen bowels. i know exactly what you mean about being constipated but not being constipated - in fact i've been told you can have constipation and diarrhoea at the same time!! Its probably your bowels not wanting to move and being lazy as happens in pregnancy and IBS, ask your doc if you can increase the lactulose or take anything else to help - fibogel can be really helpful and is safe in pregnancy. also a daily walk, even if you are feeling horrible and bunged up really does help and also although its hard, trying not to be worried about going to loo and when next poo is coming - anxiety has direct effect on bowel, even if you think you aren't anxious, your bowel knows!!

Try not to let it get you down, hard i know and i get prety down about it al too sometimes but just think its all baby and will probably go completely once the little one is out.

hope this helps a bit

if you go back to your docs ask them for MOVICOL - thats pretty hardcore at shifting things :wink:

Thanks so much for the advice and sympathy.........I was having such a bad time yesterday and spent hours worrying myself silly.

Going this morning was still a bit of a struggle, but nothing like other days - so I was feeling much more cheerful - hopefully the lactulose is starting to work its magic.

I know it sounds awful, but it was like "it" was all impacting just before it came out, and trying to go was just awful and near impossible :oops: .

I have always suffered from IBS, constipation years ago, and in the last few years more food intolerances with chronic cramps and diarrhea - although think I coped better with that, than the current problem.

Thank again everyone.......Im so grateful for the help :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back