Constipation / IBS

happy-chick

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have IBS and struggle alot to go to the toilet but can normally control it with what I eat etc, since being pregnant I cant go to the loo at all :(

Ive been drinking loads of water & orange juice, lots of fibre in my diet but nothing, I havent been for 5days now and its making me feel sick & really bloated.

Has anyone any suggestions as to herbal remedies or anything that is safe to use when pregnant as im getting pretty desperate!

i was constipated during the first couple of weeks of my pregnancy and my best remedee was to drink lots of water, orange juice and eat oranges as well. i know you've tried that already but it might be a case of increasing the doses. Not too sure what else you could do. Oh, and prunes help too. it's worth contacting your GP or nurse, they'll probably be able to advise you on what to take

i know its not nice hun but you can get glucose soppositories from the chemist i had to use them a couple of times as i have ibs too

Thanks girls, the glucose soppositories might be the best option as im in quite alot of pain and its making me feel really sick! Thanks x

My mw recommended Lactulose which is a laxative made up of mainly glucose I think but I think the best bet is to see your doctor before taking anything.

I still suffer and it sucks but I don't take any laxatives coz I am lazy :roll:

I was told last time i was preg not to take laxative so im a bit worried about taking anything, think i need to book an appointment! Thanks

I had this AFTER I had my first child, and I'd swear by senokot, and since its natural, can you take it while your pregnant??? I'm not sure, but its definately worth tring if you can take them hun x

Ye i will ask a pharmacist I think as they are natural arent they? Dont think I can cope with this much longer lol.

Thanks hunx

I know stool softeners (which take a few days to work) are ok but steer well clear of laxatives- not good.

I thought senakot was a baddy??

I'd check with a pharmacist to be sure- then tell me the answer as my insides aren't great either :oops: :rotfl:

Hi Jo,
Have you tried Linseed? I have IBS but the opposite of you and my morning sickness is playing havoc with it.
s

I havent tried linseed will look into that thanks chick, hope you get yours under control too hun i really sympathise with you its awful :( x

fothers said:
I know stool softeners (which take a few days to work) are ok but steer well clear of laxatives- not good.

I thought senakot was a baddy??

I'd check with a pharmacist to be sure- then tell me the answer as my insides aren't great either :oops: :rotfl:

Oh are they? I wasn't sure, thats why I said check first. I thought they were natural. Like I said I only needed them just after little man was born, so I'm not sure...

I must say they really get those bowels moving though :rotfl:

Ive just had to ring emergency doctors and waiting for them to ring me back as I cant bear this any longer its making me feel so ill, think its poisioning me to be honest :puke: Ill let u know what they suggest.

it was an emergency doctor that gave me the supositry sp? because i was in agony and they work in 10 mins

Emergency doc has said take Lactulose but dont take it frequently as the risk of diabetes is increased, he said this is fine on the odd occasion when everything else has failed.

Ive also spoken to a pharmacist who recomended Fibregel as that is safe to use during pregnancy.

Im going to give the fibregel and go first and if that fails then use the lactulose.

No luck with the Fibregel so my doc has done me a prescription for Lactulose & my mums collecting it for me...... :pray: Please work!

So sorry to hear you are suffering from IBS.

I have had IBS for many years and my main problem was diarrhoea, but since becoming pregnant I have found that my symptoms have eased, although I must admit that I have been feeling a little constipated over the last 3 days. This is a new experience for me and although it is a relief not to have the runs anymore, I am dreading it getting any worse.

So far I have just been drinking plenty of water but any other sugestions are very much appreciated for future reference.

Take Care x

jo , doc gave me fibrogel (spl) stuff when i first got diagnosed with ibs !

i had trouble on holiday ( as ya do) took 2 constipation relief from boots , was worst thing ive ever done , by 2 am i was doubled over in pain and runs for 24 hours !

so dont take anything liek that lol

altho a cuppa tea sometimes get me going :oops: and weatabix !

hope u feel better soon , apprently the co2 their gonna pump into me tomorrow will affect my movement , dont think im normal after holiday yet ! RAH !

Hiya Chick,

Ive tried Fibregel with no luck, also tried orange juice, loads of water, loads of fibre in my diet but nothings worked.

Im now on my 2nd dose of lactulose but no movement, if nothing on friday then i think ill have to go back to my docs :(

I have had IBS for about 10 years... fibogel was not working for me either. My doctor gave me MOVICOL which works really well..... until I found out I was aneamic and was given iron tablets anyway.....

Just a thought - are you taking pregnacare? as this made me very ill with my IBS in tri 1, ended up in hospital?!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back