• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

constipated baby ?

hugsy

Reaction score
Im not too sure but i think she might be constipated,

She last had a poo at 10pm last nite in the hospital its was kinda greenish but they didnt seem to mind that,
but she hasnt gone since and seems to be straining all day like she is trying to go but just cant but its hard to tell if its just cramps or actual constipation

im just thinking that because she was given ready made formula in the hospital yesterday and half of today that it might have bunged her up

She was screaming so much earlier and all fidgety any ideas what might clear her or how to tell if it is constipation or just cramps

we had been giving her infacol for wind but didnt have that in hospital either and they said she shouldnt need it at that age so didnt give it with her bottles since we got home either

she has had a good few farts though lol some of them smelly too if thats a sign of anything?

Exercises to Help Relieve Infant Constipation

Tummy Massage
- Gently massage and rub baby's tummy in a clockwise direction. Place your hands at baby's navel and massage in a circular motion, moving your hand(s) out and away from the center of baby's belly.

Bicycle Legs - Place your baby on her back and lightly hold her legs in a half-bent position. Gently begin to move your baby's legs as if she is riding a bicycle. Alternate "Bicycle Legs" with Tummy Massage. *"Bicycle Legs" also may help to relieve a baby who is gassy.

A Warm Bath - Some medical professionals suggest giving your constipated baby a warm bath. The thought is that this may help relax baby and "get things moving" again. Give a tummy massage as you are drying baby.

Tried all 3 last nite and nothing, poor baby just keeps straining so hard trying to go but cant,s i she screams some of the time and just strains the rest of the time

guess ilhave to go to the chemist when oh gets home and see if they can give any help

I have the same problem with mine, I give her some water before her feed to try keep things flowing. She still strains but dosent seem as bad, some others have said try a bit of sugar in it also. When she starts straining I pop her dummy in and try to distract her sometimes it works sometimes not. X

Thanks, she still hasnt been able to go

Chemist gave bottle of lactulose but said to call the med doc first to make sure it ok as she is only 3 weeks tmrw and usually it only given after 1 or 2 months but he thinks it will be ok

hope it works its killing me seeing her in such a state and not being able to help her

Fresh orange diluted with water. when my neice was born she had lots of trouble pooing, doctor said that oj was safe, even for tiny baby x

How long has it been since LO last pooed? Are you formula feeding or BF?

im formula feeding but using powder except for the 6 am feed which we use ready made but when i had to go to the hospital thursday i didnt have any bottles made as i only make 1 at a time so they have ready made the whole time up there so thursday and friday so think that might have caused it as mw warned too much ready made can cause it

She had a dirty nappy at 10pm on the Thursday so i know it wasn't that long but she was defo trying to go all yest eveing and last night and today , and getting so worked up that she couldn't

i gave her the medicine at 2 and she went a bit at 6 but seems to be struggling a bit now still but hopefully will get things going in a bit if not il hive another bit tonight

The med doc said to put vaselie in her bum and push it in with my little finger and hold it in there for 30 seconds but souned too harsh and couldnt bring my self to do it

i know by now she must have pooed lol since its been a while since you posted but if you feed formula and she does get a bit constipated add an extra 1/2 ounce of water to the feed in all bottles for that day x works wonders x

Thanks hun, might try that

She got better but since starting her baby gaviscon last week she's after getting all bunged up again, funny thing is i was told not to put sugar in the water under any circumstances yet only realised today that lactoluse IS suggar and water concentrated and was given it by same doc !!!! gonna give that tonight n will hadd the extra water in her feed tmrw,

Back at doc about the reflux tmrw anyway cos she not fully cured with gaviscon n might need stronger meds so they might not have the same side effect

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back