• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Confused about test result - and leaflet doesnt help much!!

josie271280

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just done a HPT and the result is a little confusing; I wonder if anyone has experienced this or can help.

Its a Boots own test, and there are 2 windows. There is an oval test window that came up normal, but the result window should have a cross in it for a positive result. I have the horizontal line, however I can see the faintest of vertical lines which apparently can be a positive also. But it is soooo faint, it doest quite match the illustration in the leaflet!! :?

Can anyone help me to understand what this means? Is this what is referred to as a false positive? Help! x

Hello :wave:
A FAINT POSITIVE LINE = A POSITIVE!!!!
Can you post a picture??
If in doubt test in a couple of days time!!
Looks like congrats are in order!! :cheer: :cheer:
How many days PO are you???

Yeah if you can see any line at all it is most probably a BFP! There has to be some of the hCg hormone for a line to appear :cheer: :cheer: hope it gets darker for you, sounds like you're PREGNANT yaaay! :hug: :hug:

Hey girls,

Thanks for the feedback. I already binned the test; but after reading your feedback I rooted around and dragged it back out to double check!!!(the bin wasnt too dirty, and it was bagged up anyway!).

Oh my goodness, it is such a faint line! I dont know what to make of it; I dont think posting a pic will do it justice really, as I have to kind of tilt it into the light to see it clearly. So like I said, it is very, very faint! On looking again, it almost seems as though I have another very faint, horizontal line, under the thick one already there....could be because its been left in the bin for a whole day! I remember reading somewhere that if you look at the test after a day or so and the lines have got thicker, its probably defective, but the faint line is the same as before, no change really. God, could it really be a positive result? Could I really be that lucky after one month of trying, and only having started my periods again in December after 2 years or amenorrhea?! I'm not normally very lucky; it wouldnt surprise me if it turns out to be a false alarm!!

Look at me trying to talk it down; I just dont want to get my (and my husbands) hopes up, thats all. I was told by my nurse last Thursday that my next period should be due 16th Feb (already missed January's period, on the 20th), and then if nothing happens test again and go back and see her to confirm.

Is it at all possible that there are quite common factors for explaining why some tests dont detect HCG, even if a woman is pregannt? For example, and this might sound silly, but I wee a lot anyway (every 30 mins roughly!) and even more so now, so could this in effect dilute the HCG? Any other reasons for such a weak line to show on the test?

Sorry for all the questions - you can tell I'm new to all this!! Loving this site though and the all the help I'm getting. Thanks once again girls x :hug:

First morning urine is the best to test with as its less dilute if you have been to the loo not long before doing test or drank alot it may have diluted the hcg making the line so faint I would get another test and test tomorrow when you first get up and hopefully the line will be darker, but its looking good! :hug: :hug:

I had originally been testing at any time of the day (well, one test), and then a few weeks ago I did a couple more (one 26th Jan, and then a week later on 2nd Feb), both using early morning urine, and they were both definately negative. Although obviously this time its looking a bit different!

All I can think (and hope) is its taken a while for implantation, and the HCG is only just starting to show. Like I said, I used to wee a lot anyway and no matter if I didnt drink an hour before going to bed, and emptied my bladder before doing so, I'm guaranteed to wake up with a full one! So thats why I wondered if the hormone could possibly be diluted if I am weeing a lot. Liquid just goes straight through me!!

Well, fingers crossed; I'll try another test over the weekend and will let you know how I get on x :hug:

Hi Ladies,

Just an update, following the last test; I took another one, yesterday, and this time the line was even fainter, to the point I thought I had imagined the faint line on the first test (although my husband says he saw it). I'm so confused; I almost gave myself a headache trying to see the line on this last one! How could the result get weaker, to the point where it almost doesnt show up? What can cause that? I thought they were only supposed to get darker??!!

So now the excitement has been replaced with confusion and disappointment, as I probably had a defective test the first time round or did it completely wrong. Anyone know if certain temperatures/atmosphere/surroundings can play havoc with test results? I cant think of anything esle that could affect it! :wall:

x

Was the last test with FMU or had you had a something to drink before? If it was diluted that would mean the hormone would be diluted so the result would be fainter. Another possibility is the last test had less dye in it than the previous one. Another possibility is that it's a chemical pregnancy, I really really hope it isn't :hug:

Maybe give it another couple of days the test again with FMU and see if the lines stronger, I'll have my fingers crossed for you :hug: :hug:

I agree, did you use FMU? Try and do a test as soon as you wake up. I hope you get a BFP hun :hug: :hug: you can see from some other threads here that the first tests are usually soooo faint but the girls posting these tests are pregnant, the line is just soo faint to begin with.

Hey girls,

I've been using FMU, for the last few tests. Like I said, did one on Thursday (which had a faint line), then one on Saturday (even fainter) - both of these were Boots own tests.

Just to double check, I bought some other brands today (First Response and Clear Blue, and you can do these at any time of day apparently), and did the FR one as soon as I got in. Unfortunately, only one line came up, with no faint second line, therefore, I guess I'm not pregant and it was all just a 'technical glitch'.

I am so depressed, I really thought it had happened x :cry:

Hey girls,

Just had a follow up appointment with the nurse earlier today (got a cancellation), who confirmed that I am not pregant.

She weighed me and told me I am still not at an ideal weight for my height, in order for my periods to come back; I am 9st 5lbs, when I should be closer to 10st (I am 5'8''). I was nearly 10st a couple of years ago before I lost loads of weight, and I was still having periods then so its logical I need to get back to that weight.

I also got the Clomid drug again so hopefully it will be a two-pronged attack with that and putting on weight. I think I'll try and put on around half a stone gradually over the next month, and see how I go.

I'm aware I was obsessed with my weight a couple of years ago and thats what got me into this mess in the first place, but I've found out the hard way that for the sake of your health, there is sooooo no point in starving yourself (like I did) just to get super-slim, as you ultimately affect your fertility.

So, the nurse has practically ordered me to stuff myself back to my original weight, so I'm actually quite looking forward to that, especially if it gets me the result I want!! Will keep you all updated - thanks again for all your advice x :hug:

My Dr told me the same which annoyed me as my BMI is in (just) the healthy range and I am heavier than I have ever been. I eat VERY healthily except for daily chocolote (usually a mars bar, sometimes two) but that is my only vice. I get so much nutrition in my diet.

I know exactly what you mean; I feel heavy but apparently thats not the case where BMI is concerned! But there has been talk that BMI is rubbish as it doenst take into account the percentage of fat and muscle, just overall weight. I know I have more fat, and pretty much most of it collects round my belly, which is infuriating as I am skinny everywhere else! (well, slimmer anyway).

Like you say, might just have the odd couple of treats a day and carry on eating as normal (which is healthy), and hopefully that'll bring my weight up nice and gradually. One good thing about putting weight back on again is looking down and seeing a couple of old friends returning, which keeps my husband happy!!!

X

:hug: I hope you get your BFP soon hun.

I know how it feels to lose weight quickly I managed to lose two stone in a month once because I was ill and I felt so atrocious afterwards. I managed to get my weight back up by eating healthily and also drinking at least two nestle build up shakes a day.

I would defo recommend them they are packed full of protein and vits and are made with milk, if you use full fat milk even better.

You can buy them from a chemist, they cost about £2.50 for a pack of five shakes, comes in strawberry, chocolate and banana flavours i think, yum.

Worth a try maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back