• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

confused about food .....

samanthajayne

Reaction score
help!!!

i'm a dumb mummy maybe i should read some books or something.

at the moment this site is my only source of info and the more i read the more confused i get about food. rhys hasn't got a huge appetite at the moment and still prefers his milk over food. at the moment food wise he has baby cereals or porridge for brekky a yoghurt for lunch and a baby dinner (ones you add water to as he hates the baby jars) and pudding for tea or pureed fruit or mashed banana. i'm playing safe with these at the moment as he eats this and enjoys it and i'm scared of trying anything different and i'm unsure of what to give him as well.

what exactly can a 6 month old eat and what foods are safe for me to give him to try and feed himself with also instead of being fed by me on a spoon all the time.

thanks. i feel so dumb xxx :wall:

To a degree they can eat what you eat, just not the stuff you were told to avoid whilst pregnant. Angel had a lot of pureed veg and sometimes with a bit of chicken or beef. She always have a dessert of yogurt or mashed banana. She has never really been a finger food baby until recently but toast and breadsticks are good ones.
I use recipes from this woman. I have her cookbook and have loads of meals out of it for her and OH. http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes

your baby can try most foods that you are having if you make sure to avoid using stock cubes and salt.

a good way to introduce finger foods would be to make some extra vegetables for your lo to have a go with, just don't expect much at first but they very quickly learn what to do with it! Steamed carrott sticks are a great start as a little broccoli and cauliflower trees which can easily be grabbed by little hands. You can make extra and then just reheat by dropping in some boiling water for a minute if you prefer not to use the microwave.

I would recommend that you pop into the blw blog thread for some ideas. Even if you don't go down the blw route, you'll still find inspiration for your finger foods and other baby friendly recipes which will be fine for either eating with hands or from a spoon with your help.

Personally i find the jars and spoon feeding very convenient and we have a sort of half and half approach between that type of food and finger feeding. As for meal planning, i tend to aim to cook a huge pot of something wholesome and suitable for all the family (cramming as much veggies in as I can for extra brownie points) and then freeze a few baby portions which I serve when I fancy something trashy and definitely not baby friendly!

My Ruby was born on the 15th July too - we're going to start weaning this weekend.

As far as I remember, they can have most things from 6 months but the advice is to avoid certain things; especially if there's a history of allergies in the family. I've always started mine on fruit (non citrus) and veg, and progressed to meat, potatoes, baby rice and pasta. I remember reading somewhere that pork is harder to digest so it's better to leave that until later; also soft cheeses and shell fish aren't recommended. Also avoid peanut products and honey. Due to my allergies, I was advised to hold back on eggs too.

I started a similar thread as it's a while since I weaned a baby, and a lot of the ideas have changed. BLW is a mystery to me - think I will have to look at it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back