confidence help

Freya

Reaction score
Not sure - this probably in wrong place but most people look in here so thought I would post in here first.

My dd is soooo bright. She is about a year more advanced than her age which is great. the thing is we have just been to parents evening and the teacher said despite her being bright she really lacks conficence especially when speaking in front of the class or to unfamiliar adults. Now don't get me wrong I don't want a cocky child BUT I do want her to have some confidence. How do I do it??? Any advice please...

I cant really help here much other than maybe encourage her to go to out of school activities like ju-jutu or simular? Will help build confidence, make new friends & protect herself! :)

Now days I lack confidence alot but when i was younger I was very independant because I was encouraged to do things like go on school trips etc...

Does she do brownies etc or dance/drama? my mums partners 6 year old boy does drama in school hols and he went from being quite shy to being quite outgoing (but hes also a bit of a nutter too :rotfl: )

Thanks for replies ladies.

She has just started karate lessons on Monday. she was despertate to go but when we got there she wouldn't join in for the first 20 mins. However she did eventually join in and says she wants to go back so I will perserve with that and see how she gets on.

Morning Freya,

I agree with the others, getting involved with a hobby such as dance/ drama/ self defence can help with the confidence, as all the kids in the group will have a role to play both individually but still as a team to put on a performance/ show etc - and that will help her feel good about herself, and feel better from inside first - that will hopefully help her feel more confident in her actions & around others.

It usually isn't that kids feel less confident about themselves, just about themselves when in front of/ being judged by others (their peers?). My sis was confident at home, but the shyest person I knew as soon as she was in front of her friends or someone she didn't really know......can't shut her up now :lol:

:hug:

Freya said:
Thanks for replies ladies.

She has just started karate lessons on Monday. she was despertate to go but when we got there she wouldn't join in for the first 20 mins. However she did eventually join in and says she wants to go back so I will perserve with that and see how she gets on.

Great New Freya!
Shes in new surroundings with new people so I'm sure once she gets used to things shes get stuck in and really enjoy it!
:cheer: x

I think karate is probably one of the best confidence builders there is as it is very heavy on defence. She will probably never have cause to use it outside of the classes but just knowing that she could if she needed to is an amazing confidence booster, plus overcoming the barrier of practising in front of other people!

She sounds like a lovely child and I hope it helps her build some confidence :D

You are all so lovely - thanks again for your replies. :hug:

I don't have a DD Freya but I would just say ask her how she feels about talking in class, and what might make it easier for her? She may not have a problem with it, sometimes as adults we see things as problems when she's probably quite comfortable being 'quiet'.
From a personal perspective I am very shy doing presentations at college but very vocal in smaller groups, I don't feel I lack confidence, I'm just 'quieter' in large groups I guess :)

Very best wishes, and I hope the Karate takes off, if not, some other activity she enjoys :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back