colostrum

Rosie1

Reaction score
Hello ladies, i have sneaked into 3rd tri early with a question....

i posted a few days ago to say that my boobies have started producing what i assumed was milk, and the replies set my mind at rest that it was colostrum, and quite normal.

My question now is this....

Colostrum is the really good stuff that gives baby all the nutrients, imunisations etc and lines the stomach that she needs in the fist couple of days, and as i understood it, only lasts a day or two before proper milk comes in. Well if i am producing colostrum now, is there a danger that it will run out and i will only produce milk when baby is born, meaning she misses out on the essential good stuff?

Sorry if this is stupid but its really worrying me!

Not a silly question at all!!!
I tried googling it to back myself up but wasn' sure what to google!
The milk is produced due to hormones, when we give birth we get a surge of extra hormones.
At least that's what i think it is!

But i do know that it will not stop you breastfeeding and you will still produce colostrum once baby is born, no matter how much you leak now so there is no need to worry!

xxxxxxxxxx :hug: :hug:

Don't worry :hug: I've been leaking for 11 weeks now. You don't actually leak that much in terms of quantity. And like BabyBee said, you don't start producing milk until a few days after the birth as it is the hormones produced in labour that tell your baby to produce the milk (I think). So you'll have plenty of colostreum for baby.

Thanks Girls!

It has really been playing on my mind that i'll run out!

Feel more relaxed now :)

I asked the same thing last week as people were talking about using a breast pump to try to induce labour (nipple tweaking) and I thought that if you did that you would use up what colustrum you had.

Needless to say, I was put right ;)

I was thinking the same as my boobs are really leaky lately. I even got a bit of a spray while getting dry the other day.

I think after you've given birth the placenta being delivered sets off a chemical reation in your body that tell your boobs it's time to feed baby.
You won't run out :D

well, ive told OH it will run out

otherwise he wont stop squeezing :rotfl:

i'm not going to enlighten him with this thread :D

:rotfl: My OH seems to have gone off my boobs recently. I think the leaking freaks him out!
I have to stop myself from squeezing though, it's like having a new toy! :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back