christening vs baby party

leckershell

Reaction score
Didn't know which section to put this in, so I'll try here!

Me and OH aren't planning to have our little one christened - our preference really as neither of us are particularly religious in the slightest, and OH wouldn't enter a church if his life depended on it! Our relatives, well mostly my relatives, don't think it's right for a baby not to be christened, but we're not just going to give the baby a religion for the sake of it being the 'right thing to do'.

So... instead we're planning to have a party, like a age 0 birthday party, where our relatives and friends can all come to our house and 'celebrate the baby' instead of a christening. Has anyone else done this at all, and how would you go about planning it? Especially if relatives may be a little bitter about it not being a christening, how would you go about not making it awkward..?

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I'll just get in party food and juice and send invites saying 'baby party on .... come to our house at 6pm etc'.

Also, how long would you leave it after baby's born? My dads side of the family are due to move to the south coast in september and I'm due 14th August. Though I'm not that bothered about them being there as they haven't been particularly helpful or friendly about it all, I don't want it to look as if I planned it knowing they wouldn't be there!!

Isnt that a naming ceremony? I know a few of the girls on the forum have done that rather than a christening

Is that the best thing to call it? We didn't know whether to call it a zero birthday party, or a welcome party... LOL

I found this in relation to a 'naming ceremony

How about a naming ceremony?
There are other options for non-believers or those who don't feel comfortable with a church setting: a humanist naming ceremony, or a civil christening. "Naming ceremonies are a lovely way of marking the birth of a baby and they can be tailored to suit the family concerned," says Hanne Stinson of the British Humanist Association. "Parents can put together their own service including poetry, music and readings, and the venue can be anywhere - in your own home, at a castle, out of doors."

Just as in a christening, you can choose godparent-equivalents (sometimes known as supporters) and the ceremony can be as formal or informal as you choose, and the BHA can - for a fee - provide a trained celebrant to lead the proceedings. For more ideas on how to organise a naming ceremony, visit www.humanism.org.uk where there are details of the BHA's book New Arrivals by Jane Wynne Willson and Robert Ashby which is full of ideas on how to organise a ceremony and what to include, or go to www.civilceremonies.co.uk.

If you google 'naming ceremony' theres loads of ideas and suggestions for non-christenings

I really respect your decision not to have your baby Christened. I am a Christian and it really saddens me when people who are not Christians have their child Christened as it involves making some very solemn promises to raise that child as a christian and frankly I find it quite hypocritical if people have no intention of keeping those promises.
Of course people want to celebrate the arrival of their baby (heck who wouldn't :dance: ) and I think bringing in the idea of a naming ceremony is a great one as it enables people to celebrate without the hypocracy.

I hope you have a fantastic time :hug:

See a bbq would be ideal, but we don't have a garden! We've got a 'town house' which just counts as a house on a maze of streets and no garden apparently!

leckershell said:
See a bbq would be ideal, but we don't have a garden! We've got a 'town house' which just counts as a house on a maze of streets and no garden apparently!

awww sorry :(

if you want a formal non religous service you can have a humanist service its about £120 - £150 you can goole it and find out if intrested

im havin a namin ceremony for ellouise :D

Miracle babe said:
I really respect your decision not to have your baby Christened. I am a Christian and it really saddens me when people who are not Christians have their child Christened as it involves making some very solemn promises to raise that child as a christian and frankly I find it quite hypocritical if people have no intention of keeping those promises.
Of course people want to celebrate the arrival of their baby (heck who wouldn't :dance: ) and I think bringing in the idea of a naming ceremony is a great one as it enables people to celebrate without the hypocracy.

I hope you have a fantastic time :hug:

Me and OH aren't religious but we're having Harrison christened next weekend. In no way do i feel a 'Hypocrit' as we are doing it for Harry, we're giving him the choice for the future. We take him to church every other Sunday!

I think we shall just have to agree to differ. Your perfectly entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Hope its a great day for you all. :D

hey honey, i think the naming ceremony is the way forward :) Thats what we are going to do I think.
Im Catholic but not practising and DH was christened but not a practising christian, I dont think it would be fair to have the baby christened in a catholic church as I would like it to be the childs choice when its old enough to know.
Also in a catholic church the godparents have to be catholic and NONE of our friend are so hey ho!!!

ps. Can i come :D

I had a naming ceremony for Seren when she was 9 months old. I used to be Christian and OH is not at all religious. Plus I wanted Seren to be able to choose her faith when she was older. It was a great day, very personal. If you search naming ceremony you can find the thread of mine with all the details on. I really recommend them.

Thanks for all the replies - really helpful thank you, I'd never heard of a naming ceremony.

Originally we were just going to have a little get together at our house, but we keep thinking of more and more people to invite and it'd be too many for our house. OH wants to just pick a pub , and have a 'celebration' sort of night, but I would rather it was a little nicer than just an excuse to get everyone out for a drink.. so I'll def be looking into naming ceremonies.

That'd be cool, anything like that would be cool - I just don't fancy not hiring somewhere and just randomly having night out in the pub (with me Breastfeeding:shock:). It just sounds like a booze up and I didn't think that was the point :( OH doesn't seem to get it or think it's a big deal, so I'll just have to be adamant about it cos I ent having a sober booze up :(

We are having Dan's naming ceremony this saturday :cheer:
OH and I are strictly not religious but wanted to celebrate the birth of our baby and let him make up his own mind when he is old enough to make an informed decision. We are very excited and have been cleaning and gardening all weekend.
We are having the ceremony at our local registery office and then back to ours for a huge BBQ and party. We've got 50 people coming :shock:
I had to get the invitations made as I couldn't find any anywhere. I will post some pictures after the weekend :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back