Christening Questions!

LaineyG

Reaction score
Three questions!

1) Would you buy the first drink for everyone at your child's christening? I'm putting on a buffet for 80 people, and his side of the family think we should buy everyone a drink, and my side say that's more for weddings, and at the very most put put a few trays of sparkly (was thinking cava) and some orange juice.

2) Has anyone heard of a christening piece? Think it's a west coast of scotland thing. Do I actually put the silver in between the biscuits?? I can't think of anything more awful than giving a child a buttered biscuit sandwich with money in the middle! :puke: :puke: Can I not just put the money in the bag and the buttered biscuit separatly!?!?

3) Does anyone know the "going rate" for the money in the envelope for the priest?

Can you tell I'm starting to stress? :rotfl: :rotfl:

xxx

1) Personal opinion but having to buy the drinks thing is optional be it wedding or Christening, it's kinda expected more at weddings though and we bought all the drinks all night at ours. We had the christening party at home so avoided the bar situation but don't feel obliged to buy the drinks it's not expected in the slightest.

2) I've never heard of the Christening piece? My sister was christened in Scotland (maybe because she's Scottish born and raised.... :lol: ) but she never had anything like that at hers....I'm much older than she is and remember it vividly.

3) No set price. It's what ever you choose to 'donate'. We gave the priest £20 in the envelope and a further £20 into the collection plate during the Christening service. He also came to the party afterwards though - we formally invited him to that with an invite just like the other guests recieved.

Don't stress it's a great day, the service is over in around an hour (feels much quicker cos your busy getting up and down) and then it's onto the party and you'll be much more relaxed then :dance:

I have decided to have my son baptised next month and I have so many questions too.

The drinks thing is a personal choice. All of the Christenings teas I have ever been to have been at home or in the church hall so no alcohol was involved.

I've never heard of the silver thing.

The money in the envelope is also a personal choice. Just give what you can afford. I think it is more of a tradition than anything else. I'm nit sure what we will put in the envelope but I am guessing it will be around £50.

I hope this helps. xxx

The christenings I've been to have never had a bar afterwards. Always been back to the parents house or church hall afterwards for nibbles and so on. But never really with alcohol even then. A few bottles fo bubbly to toast maybe, then OJ, tea, coffee etc and nibbles.

I'd personally not feel obliged to buy a round for everyone. At all. Nor would I expect it if I were attending.

Never heard of 2 at all

And nope, I'd guess what you feel comfortable and able to give.

I've been to a few christenings recently and they had an after-party at a community-centre function room which had a bar.
My friend put the food on but didn't pay for any drinks and no-one thought anything of it. Personally I would never expect the drinks to be bought for a Christening.

Try not to stress and do what suits you! Its your day after all!

Thanks girls!

I like the idea of a glass of cava to toast Mhairi, so I think that's what I'll do!

I'm sick fed up of his family saying "Oh you must do this and that" and when I said "I think buying a drink for everyone is more of a wedding thing" I got "Well if WE were doing it, WE'D buy a drink" said nastily. And the thing that really gets to me is they disapprove of women drinking!!! :wall: :wall:

God, I'm never getting married, and if I even think of it, you have my permission to throw a lightning bolt at me!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

xxx

:rotfl:

Or if you do get married - run off and do it somewhere quiet without any of the in-laws!!

Next thing they'll be wanting your OH to do a speech!!!

I think with regards to the drinks can you not just buy some bottles of wine and cartons of orange and offer that artound for say the first toast?

Id be pissed if i had to buy ppl voddys and coke and all that...

I dont know about the rest but best of luck :)

x

We gave our priest £30, although our retrired priest was there too as baptism was done at the Easter vigil service so we gave him £30 too!

just speaking to my mum about this and she was saying it's good luck here to do the christining piece thing, we're just outside glasgow :rotfl: although, i don't fancy the idea either :think:

we're having ours in a function room or the chapel hall, and won't be buying the drinks, or having an open bar :talkhand: we're skint :rotfl:

the priest thing, probs £20 and will invite him afterwards :D

I'm glad this was asked because I was looking into how much it would cost to get Summer baptised so I am going to ring the church today :cheer:

sarafet said:
we're having ours in a function room or the chapel hall, and won't be buying the drinks, or having an open bar :talkhand: we're skint :rotfl:

So you did go with that option in the end :lol: Good for you :) Think its fair enough and sticking to soft drinks and nibbles is fine I reckon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back