• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

choosing a nursery

hayley

Reaction score
Hi mums

I'm off viewing a few nurseries today and hoping to put my name down for one.. i'm planning to go back to work part time (3 days) when the baby is 4 months old. My parents will be looking after the baby 2 days so i need to find a good nursery where i'll feel comfortable leaving my 4 month old baby for 1 day a week... i'm already feeling shitty about having to do this... but it's one of those things that has to be done! I'm only viewing nurseries that are ofsted approved and have all the correct certificates but what else should i be looking for... certificates don't make happy babies...

x

Hiya, I put rebecca into nursery for 3 days and my mum watches her the other 2- she is 4 months too. She is at Careshare (sister nurseries are called Just Learning in England).

You should go at the busiest time-lunch time, that way you will see how well the babies are seen to, how they deal with the pressure, and how happy the buba's are. Ask about the ratio of staff to child-under 3's in a private nursery should be 1 adult to 2 children. Ask for their Ofsted reports for the past couple of years....

You will know when you walk in if it's right for you and your LO. The people should be warming and welcoming to both you and LO, as it is a terrifying experience for a mum to leave their child.

Hope this helps xx My OH's mum runs a nursery in Glossop-she gave me this advice. PM me if you need anything.xx

Ooops just noticed your LO isn't here yet!! How exciting.xxx

Was about to say Urchin has great advice. Visit as many as you can, see hopw you feel about the place etc. The one I chose is great for us. The manager and the person in charge of the baby room were very helpful and friendly and encouraged me to ask as many questions as possible. I wasn't just shown the baby room, the manger took me around all the sections and explained what they did etc. I really liked it as they kept stressing about how baby does things at their own time so with painting for example they would put the brush in their hand and show them that they could make a mark, but then they would let baby paint what they wanted.They also said they took the children outside everyday if possible etc. She had her first full day there yesterday but it felt ok as I had met up with the nursery staff and Seren's key worker a couple of times so I kinew them.

thanks for all your advise.. i never ended up going nursery hunting... i chickened out... i was just too scared of walking in there and not knowing what to ask or asking something stupid! i can't keep putting it off for too long as the places fill up quick... think i'll go when i start aternity leave in 3 weeks... take DH or mum with me..

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back