visiting nurseries - what should i look out for?

hayley

Reaction score
i'm off work this week - took a weeks holiday to break up my last few working weeks...

Today i'm off to view a few nurseries - but haven't a clue what i should be looking for... I'm going back to work part time (3 days) when the baby is 4 months old. My folks are having the baby 2 days so i'll need to find a nursery that i'm totally happy about leaving my 4 months old baby at for 1 day a week... I'm only viewing nurseries that are ofsted approved but apart from having all the correct certificates what else should i be looking for?

x

To be honest, you should get a feeling when you go in. I did with mine and my little one loves it there and dosesn't want to come home most of the time! You could ask for copies of their latest inspection reports (although you can get these online) and the child:staff ratio. Also if they keep written records of your childs day. My son had a book which outlined everything that happened throughout his day there including milk/food taken, sleep times, nappy changes, activities etc. I thought this was really nice because often when you pick them up the staff don't have time to talk to every parent.
You could also ask what qualifications the staff have, if they only operate term time or full time and if its full time, do you get a holiday entitlement?
I know its a bit early but you could ask about their behaviour policy and discipline.

There's so much to think about but if you've had recommendations from friends etc then i'd go with those. The one I use has been running for over 20 years and my DH's brothers went there and loads of my friends went there as children etc so I know it comes well recommended. If I think of anything else i'll let you know!

Tan x

I work 3 days a week to hun and like u family has B 2 days a week and he goes to nrsery 1 day a week!
both me and B love his nursery, find out about if bubs is ill wot happens...
how often nappies are changed or is it just wen there dirty (Bs change ever hour no matter wot)
wot happens about lunch etc wen babies old enough
about there security policy
if bubs is medication wot happens
and there sick policy
im sure there is loads more but cant fink of em

i'll go today.... i keep put off going. I know i have to go nursery hunting but i'm nervous for some reason...

x

its the thought of leaving ur baby with someone u dont really know

ohhh ask about introsuction sessions, the nursery B goes to we got 3 introductory sessions (free) the first one i stayed and played the second i had a coffee in the staff room and the thrid i left him there for two hours

sounds good... i like the idea of that... the one i'm hoping to put baby in has lots of cameras... so you can log on at work and check everything is okay... pretty pricey at £37 a day.. but i think just knowing the cameras are there will put my mind at ease - even if i don't log on! don't know what i'd do if i logged on and baby was upset... i work about 40 miles from the nursery.. although DH and my family are close by.. eventually i'll be going back to work full time so will need to put baby in nursery for 3 days a week.... oh why can't we all be rich....

I need to write all your questions down otherwise i'll get to the nursery and go blank - thanks for your help.

x

The nursery my niece goes to gives my brother a report back every day, detailing everything she ate, done, the times she slept, even down to what was in her nappy!! Sounds extreme but as my brother says, they know what her routine at nursery is like so they try and go along the same lines at the weekend...little things like that make all the difference...they helped with her potty training too

Good luck today Hayley, I love the sound of those cameras!! Please let us know how you got on. I suppose I should start looking myself as I've got to go back work fulltime. :(

i'm a mouse... chickened out again... i'm thinking i'll go on friday and take my mum... i'm just worried about walking in and all those mums and nursery workers looking at me... and me not knowing what to say or do...

the things i should worried about don't bother me and the simple things worry the hell out of me... i'm a bit back to front!!!!

x

You chicken!!!!! :lol:
animal-smiley-032.gif

i know! I hold my hand up... i am....

i'm scared those experienced mums are gonna look at me with "she hasn't a clue" written across their faces....

like being a first year at school and all those 2nd years looking down on yea!

I'll take my mum... someone to hold my hand!

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back