Choking while bottle-feeding

Lexusno1

Reaction score
Hi ladies

My four day old every so often chokes when feeding and can't catch his breath when I take the bottle out. He literally can't breathe for a few seconds which obviously scares the life out of me.

I think my other son used to do this as well but I can't remember what i used to do to help him?! I dont think it went on for too long.

I'll mention it to the midwife tomorrow but I dread feeding him just in case he does it!

Does anyone else have experience of this and if so, what did you do to help babba catch breath??

Xx

He's already on teat 1 flow, Tommee Tippee. Is there one available slower than that? Xx

i just used to take bottle out when she was gulping her milk to slow her down x

4 days old awww. DS choked too when I was bf. Nothing you can do really but just sit them up and give them a minute to breathe again! It's horrible though. He'll grow out of it :)

Thanks guys. Yeah he seems to manage most of the time so I didn't think it was the flow, more like he momentarily forgets how to regulate his breathing between sucks?!

Thanks PP, I guess there is nothing more I can do but wait for him to catch his breath again. My gut reaction was to give him a sharp blow in his face and I think that seemed to help. As long as he will catch his breath again it's OK. it's just scary waiting thinkin he might not!

Xxx

It takes time for babies to develop the sucking reflex so mite be that..I found dr browns slow flow to be idle with my new born in case u wana try

Thanks LoveLeen!

He did it 3 times last night and managed to recover a lot quicker!! Think he's learning!! Xx

Hey chick,
My LO still does this, is soooo off putting isn't it, but I'm sure they will grow out of it. He does do it less now thank god xxxxx

Hi hun, Sam still does this too!He does it when hes falling to sleep whilst feeding or if hes gulping too quickly, as were using the tommee tippee vari flow teats. I just sit him up and wait for him to get his breath back xxx

It's not nice that they do it but nice to know other babies do it too!

Are the vari flow teats faster than number 1 or slower? Dumb question I know but I don't know what vari flow is xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back