Child Tax Credit

Beeble

Reaction score
I was under the impression that everyone got child tax credit - but after doing the online calculator it says we are entitled to nothing as our combined salary is high. (doesnt feel like it as we always struggle month to month) Does anyone know more about this? Thanks!

We don't get anything either. You will get child benefit though x

Yeah it's only child benefit that everyone gets, although I think they were planning to change that as well. Our income is set to drop by £1000 a month while I'm off, and we aren't entitled to any tax credits even though OH only earns just over £1000 and I'll get SMP. I have to go back to work when baby is 3 months, we couldn't physically afford to eat anything otherwise. Very frustrating and unfair! x

Bex - When you go onto SMP ring up the tax office and tell them that your on SMP and let them know your current income. They will change your income for that year so you can get WTC and CTC. You can only do this though once you're on SMP :)

Thanks guys, I had not really not heard of child benefit will need to look into it! x

For child benefit, you will get a form given to you when you have your baby, then just send it off with LO's birth certificate and they pay it in to your bank. I think they are introducing a threshold but it is around £60k (for you or oh, not combined) xxx

Bex - When you go onto SMP ring up the tax office and tell them that your on SMP and let them know your current income. They will change your income for that year so you can get WTC and CTC. You can only do this though once you're on SMP :)

We're still not entitled because my partner's earnings are too high. I rang them and they worked it out based on SMP if I was to stay off for the entire time (which would work out to about 9k for the year) and his wages, takes us over the threshold for being entitled to anything.

Just to echo what others have said - everyone gets child benefit, a form is given to you when your baby is born, for the first child you get something like £20 a week, this goes down for each subsequent child.
We didn't qualify for tax credits either :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back