Chemical Pregnancy Question

Melanie3103

Reaction score
If the lines do darken, even after a slow start (but the bleeding continues on and off) - the darken lines means it's OK ?

Or is it not as clear cut as that ? Darker lines mean HCG increasing which means pregnancy is progressing, right ? So does that then rule out a CP ?

Sorry for so many questions...

x

I think with a chemical you get faint lines and then they disappear and you get your period essentially. All happening up to and around the time of your expected period date.

If the lines are getting darker I wouldn’t think it was a cp. It could be a viable pregnancy or it could be ectopic or miscarriage. The only way to find out is to have your hcg levels checked and confirm on an ultrasound where it’s progressing. Fx for you xx

I think with a chemical you get faint lines and then they disappear and you get your period essentially. All happening up to and around the time of your expected period date.

If the lines are getting darker I wouldn’t think it was a cp. It could be a viable pregnancy or it could be ectopic or miscarriage. The only way to find out is to have your hcg levels checked and confirm on an ultrasound where it’s progressing. Fx for you xx

OK well "up to and around the time of my period" - well I was due Thursday/Friday. Today is Saturday - the bleeding is on and off. Mainly brown, but some fresh red but it's sporadic. It's not heavy (not soaking through pads or anything) - no pain or cramping.

The lines on a FRER were the same DPO 9, 10 and 11... so with the bleeding as well - I'd expect the lines to darken, so feared the worst.

Here I am DPO 12 - and the FRER was definitely darker - see above. Still on and off bleeding.

So you think I ought to get a docs appt to check ? Can a GP check my HCG levels ? Or is that a midwife or hospital appt ? Also I guess an ultrasound is too early (I'd only be 4-5 weeks)... no ?

Last edited:
Hey Melanie, it must all be so confusing for you right now. It's still very early, some tests won't even show a line! The frer on your other thread today was much darker for sure!

I think if I were you for reassurance I would call my gp first thing Monday. I'm not sure if gps offer bloods to check levels or if you have to go to the epau but hopefully they will advise and be helpful!

I was told epau wouldn't offer a scan before 6 weeks. Not sure if this is the same everywhere but I would say yes it's too early for a scan.

Fingers crossed everything will be okay xx

Last edited:
Hey Melanie, it must all be so confusing for you right now. It's still very early, some tests won't even show a line! The frer on your other thread today was much darker for sure!

I think if I were you for reassurance I would call my gp first thing Monday. I'm not sure if gps offer bloods to check levels or if you have to go to the epau but hopefully they will advise and be helpful!

I was told epau wouldn't offer a scan before 6 weeks. Not sure if this is the same everywhere but I would say yes it's too early for a scan.

sorry what's EPAU ?

I’d make a drs appointment. Bleeding is not normal in pregnancy but doesn’t necessarily mean something is wrong. You’ve had a positive test and now you’re bleeding and concerned about it. By Monday you might have more of an idea of which way it’s going if you keep testing with fmu.

It looks like your tests are getting darker which is a good sign. But I understand the blood will be worrying.

I had an ectopic in March last year and my subsequent pregnancy they did hcg levels (but I presented at a&e with abdo pains) and then follow up at early pregnancy unit when I was about 4 weeks 4 days pregnant. Something will show on an us when the levels are above 3000.

Fingers crossed for you

sorry what's EPAU ?

Early pregnancy assessment unit xx

I’d make a drs appointment. Bleeding is not normal in pregnancy but doesn’t necessarily mean something is wrong. You’ve had a positive test and now you’re bleeding and concerned about it. By Monday you might have more of an idea of which way it’s going if you keep testing with fmu.

It looks like your tests are getting darker which is a good sign. But I understand the blood will be worrying.

I had an ectopic in March last year and my subsequent pregnancy they did hcg levels (but I presented at a&e with abdo pains) and then follow up at early pregnancy unit when I was about 4 weeks 4 days pregnant. Something will show on an us when the levels are above 3000.

Fingers crossed for you

thanks for sharing... really appreciate it. Will call docs monday if it's still the same x

Honestly I think Id go to the drs and ask for bloods to be taken.
Its the only way id be getting some piece of mind knowing that are doubling,
Or just simply knowing if they aren't so I could be prepared!
I hate being left in limbo! Its the worst feeling x

This happened to me...Your doctor won't do anything... Go to your local a+e and they will send you to EPAU for assesment. They will do bloods and because they are at the hospital they only take 1.5 hours for results. However, they can't really tell u much from whose bloods but they will tell u to come back in 48hours to repeats bloods and then they can compare the 2 and that's when they can give u an idea of what's happening.
What's the bleeding like today? And have u taken another test??

Last edited:
when I was early on in pregnancy I had brown blood in little on/off periods I thought it was completely normal, I went to the GP who referred me to get an early scan & unfortunately I had an unconfirmed ectopic pregnancy.
It’s better to double check just in case as I had no idea & wouldn’t of had a clue.
Xx

when I was early on in pregnancy I had brown blood in little on/off periods I thought it was completely normal, I went to the GP who referred me to get an early scan & unfortunately I had an unconfirmed ectopic pregnancy.
It’s better to double check just in case as I had no idea & wouldn’t of had a clue.
Xx

I have a docs appointment tomorrow (Wednesday) - will def mention it... xx

Hope the doctor is helpful. Are you still having bleeding?

Hope the doctor is helpful. Are you still having bleeding?

no nothing since Saturday lunchtime.

The pregnancy tests are getting darker too, which I'm hoping is a good sign.

Bleeding is always a worry but it isn't uncommon. There have been lots of stories with positive outcomes on here. Hoping your little bean is doing fine, unaware of the worry he is causing you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waqas432
Back