Car hire abroad

Gemma & Jake

Reaction score
We have just hired a 7 seater car for our holiday in France this September through Holiday Autos. We are paying £660 for 11 days hire which includes an additional driver, two baby seats and a damage excess waiver(if the vehicle is damaged you pay the excess but it is later refunded to you). I was wandering if any of you could share your car hire experiences with me. I am hoping that we won't get there and have to pay extras as it is expensive enough already. I am a bit confused about the deposit. On the website it says you have to leave a credit card as the deposit but do they take the excess from the card and then refund it if the car is ok or do they only take it if the car is damaged or stolen? I have put a quote from the site below.

insurance details

You will be required to leave a credit card deposit to the value of the insurance excess. The credit card has to be in the name of the lead driver. If the car is damaged during the rental you may be charged an excess of between EUR 775 - 1665 depending on the size of the car which will be debited from your deposit. The holiday autos damage excess waiver product, if purchased at time of booking, will cover you for damage excess that you may be charged in the event of an accident(subject to certain exclusions, see terms and conditions for details).

Hi Gemma -

There's not a lot you can do now if its been booked so try not to worry. I know when we've hired cars abroad before, you usually pay a deposit, then pay the rest at the collection of the car. They always want you to pay on a credit card - the reason for this is they are all *******s and usually charge you a couple of weeks after for scratches etc. Happens 4/5 times!!

All I can advise you is when they give you the vehicle, you have to sign a document saying you agree to its condition and what marks/damage is there. Be SO thorough, get them to mark down EVERY little scratch!

But seriously all car companies are the same, and its not worth the worry - have a lovely holiday!

Ps - is the damage excess waiver included in the £660? If you havent paid that ammount already i assume you'll have to pay on collection.

Izzy said:
Hi Gemma -

There's not a lot you can do now if its been booked so try not to worry. I know when we've hired cars abroad before, you usually pay a deposit, then pay the rest at the collection of the car. They always want you to pay on a credit card - the reason for this is they are all b******s and usually charge you a couple of weeks after for scratches etc. Happens 4/5 times!!

All I can advise you is when they give you the vehicle, you have to sign a document saying you agree to its condition and what marks/damage is there. Be SO thorough, get them to mark down EVERY little scratch!

But seriously all car companies are the same, and its not worth the worry - have a lovely holiday!

Ps - is the damage excess waiver included in the £660? If you havent paid that ammount already i assume you'll have to pay on collection.

Yes the damage excess waiver is included. I have just looked up reviews on holiday autos and they have loads of bad reviews. I should have looked before but I was so fed up with searching car hire companies that I just booked it. I will make sure I note down any damage and make them sign it and also keep the petrol receipt when I fill it up at the end. Do they only take money off your card if the car is damaged or do they take it at time of pick up and refund it if the car is returned ok?

I don't think any would have good reviews to be honest!

Most companies would only charge you afterwards if there is damage to pay for (though like i said, they aren't shy to make it up). Thats why they always ask for a credit card - so it can be charged.

Next time you need car hire try a site which compares them all like - http://www.carhiresearch.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back