Can you video record 20 week scan?

linspins105

Reaction score
HI there,
I have my 20 week scan tomorrow and my OH is wanting to video a bit of it so we can show others the baby moving rather than just photos - has anyone else done this - is it allowed or does it depend on hospital - it Worthing in West Sussex.
Thanks.
Lindsey

Not sure - think it would not only depend on the hospital but the mood of the person scanning you. It would be different if it was a private scan but since the 20 week scan is usually so detailed and needs lots of measurements and concentration I would be prepared to have them say no. I'm just going by my experience at my local hospital but then it's a chore for them to do so much a print a wee picture.

Ditto what Scotslass said.

You can ask when you get there but be prepared for a 'no'. I've never heard of anyone doing this either. Most people book for a 4D scan a bit later on to get the really good video footage of their baby.

There is not much room in where they scan (hence them asking for only one person to attend with you) and the sonographer has to really be focused on what they are doing to get all the measurements etc. It may well be off putting for them having someone stand behind/across the room fom them filming it all.

There may simply not be enough room with all the equipment either. When we had our 20 week scan the room was tiny and there was nowhere to stand behind the sonographer due to the machines. Hubby had a seat on the far side of the bed and though the sonographer moved the screen round a bit so we could see it all happening while she measured etc, it was still not the easiest to make things out.

Also not sure how good a quality you would get from recording it on a camera or some such. Its not the greatest picture in the first place.

Good luck :)

I would say it depends on the hospital and even more so the sonographer.

My partner was cheeky enough to ask if he could record ours on camera whilst she was doing it. She said they are not allowed as a rule but didn't personally see anything wrong with it. She told him he could do it and hide the camera if anyone walked in.

We then burn't it to a DVD when we got home :D

The lady was ever so kind and she put her job on the line for us by doing what she did for us.

Im just echoing what everyone else has said really, think it depends on the hospital policy and also who is scanning you. However, in my hospital yesterday there was a blatant sign saying NO cameras or video equipment in the scanning room as it can be very distracting for the sonographer, so I guess thats a big fat NO then!!

They had issues with us filming our own sons birth :shock: Lord forbid you video'd a scan :lol:
I'm not right up with technology but I guess there could be intereference, and then there's the fact if something was not seen by them but was later found on your recording, it wouldn't help the hospital in a legal case :|
You can always opt for a private scan, where they video it for you :hug: :hug: :hug:

My letter said no recording equipment or cameras etc. and i realyl dont think they'd have liked it much.
You mgiht be lucky and get a nice sonographer though

Thanks all of your for your replies - as all of you pretty much said it was a big fat NO.

I asked if once she had done all the measurements etc we could just video for 15 seconds or so and she said no - blurbed something about privacy issues which we didn't really understand.

Glad to say though that scan all went well and everything looks good.

Lindsey

if you can scarpe te cash together- or if someone wants to buy you one as a pressie!- I would have a 4D scan done privately about 28/29 weeks. Not only do you get to see your baby in 3D but you can buy a DVD recording of it too. It was a bit expensive- the scan was a pressie but we bought the DVD and CD-ROM :roll: It's not something you'll ever be able to go back and do and it's an amazing bonding experience
:lol:

.... I give it about 10 years before 4D scans are the norm on NHS! :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back