Can you tell where your babies head /bum is??

Lisamj

Reaction score
Hi all,

As I've mentioned they aren't sure of baby boo's position so I am having a presentation scan next week. The Midwife thinks he may be breech - her reasoning was that she could feel something hard-ish up top, and nothing hard at all down low (infact, the lower part of my belly is just squidgy full stop). She's not certain if it's a head up top though, as it doesn't tilt when she manipulates it, and so thinks maybe his legs are infront of his head acting like a splint IYKWIM.

Anyway, to the point! For those of you that know that baby is head down, can you feel that there is something obvious and hard like a head down low, and if so can you also feel something hard up top like the bum too?

I guess I'm just hoping MW is wrong and the hard bit under my ribs is in fact bum (but if thats the case I have no idea where his head is lol!)

Thanks

L xxx

I can never tell! I can prod all day long and wouldn't be able to tell if I was prodding a bum or a head! :doh:

I have had 4 different midwives palpate my tummy.... all of them say "it could be a head up there" but then when they check what's in my pelvis they say.... "oh but that's definitely bottom". So they are all fairly sure its breech....

From what i have read in the internet if you push the hard lump under your ribs and the rest of the baby moves then it's bottom, if not it's head (as the neck flexes tp take the movement). Not exactly foolproof but hope it helps.....

my baby is 2/5 engaged. what tick tock says is true. If I push babies bum, everything moves. Could not do that when bubs was breech.

my Gp helped to feel head at last appointment so know what it is like. Also kicks changed when it went head down, they used too be more at the side, now they are central (much closer to my linus nigra whihc streatches from top to bottom). I can't feel feet, but docter couldn't get them to stay still either (must be ticklish).

Sandi

I know im not as far along as you ladies but i am nearly positive i can feel babies position. I have been feeling alot of pressure down below and thought it was the head and an annoying something under my right rib which i presumed to be a foot! it was confirmed by the doctor yesterday who did a quick scan that baby was lying the way i thought. This morning when i woke i would be sure baby was curled up tightly as i felt a huge hardness around my belly button and squidgy everywhere else.

Mine changes daily too - sometimes there is just this huge lump under my right ribs and not much anywhere else, whereas other days like today it almost feel like he is transverse across the middle of my stomach - nothing above nothing below. Still not sure though!

I think because the position is still changing so dramatically I'm hopeful that he'll settle head down when he's good and ready. I have a feeling he is long rather than fat anyway.

L x

My midwife says mine is head down and last time when she was prodding she told me to feel, which i did, but i couldnt tell what i was feeling. She said can you feel the head and she was smiling away so i just nodded along and was like ooooo yeah, even though i could barely feel anything :oops:
I still try and feel now but the top half of my tummy seems just as hard as the bottom and sometimes i feel more movements like kicks and shifting from further down rather than up near my ribs which is where her feet apparently are :think:
Also my last appointment was with a consultant and she said the head wasnt engaged but 4 days earlier my midwife said she was :wall:
Half the time i reckon it must be difficult for them to tell where things are i mean a little buttock could feel quite roundish so could be mistaken for a head maybe and sometimes babies are curled up in all sorts of positions :hug:

Mine is head down and for a while I have been able to feel her bum cheeks.
She must get fed up of me prodding her lol.

Up until yesterday i'd have said i know exactly where she is, now i'm pretty sure she's moved and things are squishy that wearnt before!!

Tally likes to try and stretch out a lot so i regularly get a hard line or lump on one side which is her bum or back and pointy knees hands and feet on the other.

Yesterday she decided to move sides and now i havnt a clue where she is :roll: i might get mum to have a feel later on for me.

As for the hard bit down low, no i cant feel her head, my mum can and midwife can but i can just feel a general hardness no head shapes.

And my midwife said Tally has a very boney bum! Theres a good chance your baby is head down, im pretty sure a few girls on here were sent for scans as they thought they were breach and baby turned out to be in perfect position.

Hope all goes well for you :hug:

the only way i can tell where Sophies head is, is by feeling where shes hiccuping! lol

i know my baby is head down. my tummy feels squidgy at the bottom but solid at the top where his bum is and he loves wiggling his bum from side to side. i have never felt a head but the midwife can when i'm lay down and she presses really hard down the bottom. there are some days though where i just don't know where he is and its like he has disappeared and my belly goes squidgy all over :lol: my baby seems to know when i have the midwife as he will be all over the place until a day or 2 before my appointment then he will move into the proper position stay that way for another day or 2 and then completely move but space has got to be running out now so soon he'll be stuck head down i hope :pray:

I always could from 28 weeks when LO went head down and stayed there.

I soon got to learn where his back was, how it curved and to figure out feet and hands and so on. It was never a problem for me. LO used to flip from LOL to ROL often right up to the day before he was born :shock: It used to be very uncomfortable in the last few weeks but I could defo feel it all and knew exactly where he was lying :)

jills10uk said:
I know im not as far along as you ladies but i am nearly positive i can feel babies position. I have been feeling alot of pressure down below and thought it was the head and an annoying something under my right rib which i presumed to be a foot! it was confirmed by the doctor yesterday who did a quick scan that baby was lying the way i thought. This morning when i woke i would be sure baby was curled up tightly as i felt a huge hardness around my belly button and squidgy everywhere else.

That's exactly like me!

Evie's been in roughly the same position for a good few weeks now... At my 4D scan she was exactly how I thought she was. I can feel her bum and sometimes I can feel an elbow or a knee but never her head because it's so low down.

Oh, and she keeps getting her foot caught under my rib! x

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back