can i ask about SPD

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by cherylcusack, Dec 9, 2007.

1. cherylcusack

cherylcusack Well-Known Member

Hello, ive never come across this before, and am wondering if my symptons are related to this.

when i walk my downstairs area really hurts, also if i try to lift my leg up it hurts.

when i lay on my back me lower sides feel like they are getting cramp, and also if i slightly bend over, my back and averything else that ive mentioned hurt

im 17 weeks pregnant and its been like this for about 2 weeks, i didnt know if to mention this to the midwife as i thought they might just think im moaning about nothing.

2. DebbieM

DebbieM Well-Known Member

Could well be SPD. My groin area is really sore when I walk and getting up out of bed, walking up stairs, getting in and out of the car just makes it worse.

I'd see your GP and explain things and see if you can get referred for physio..

3. cherylcusack

thankyou for your reply.it does sound like what you have, can they actually do anything about it though, and can i still have a natually birth. its quite embarrassing having to walk about clenching my teeth cause of the pain.

4. 1sttimemum

1sttimemum Well-Known Member

I get really sore hips and pelvcs area when i have been sat or lay down for a while - this has been happening for about the 3 weeks now.....

I did see my doc as i thought it was the back pain - but now realised its my hips - and when i get up after being sat or lay i kinda wobble, like an old lady

Do you think this is what i have?

5. happy-chick

happy-chick Well-Known Member

Theres some info here which u may find useful: SPD

6. 1sttimemum

Cool. thats a good page, think it is something i will have to dicuss with the midwife when i see here on the 20th - Strange tho as they say resting helps, but i find the more i rest the harder it is to get up when i need to!!! Defo have trouble turning in bed!!!

7. happy-chick

happy-chick Well-Known Member

U may find that your MW dismisses it as its quite early get SPD although if you think thats what it is then persevere or go to see your GP aswell, I was told that I had pelvic pain not SPD at first but then as ive got further on my physio therapist has confirmed it is actually SPD.

It sounds like u have pelvic pain at the moment as it isnt in your groin area but thats not to say that it wont move around there but fingers crossed for you its just preggo aches and pains! :pray:

8. cherylcusack

mine is def in my groin area and back the worse, i also find it is worse once ive laid down, but does seem better in the morning than at night time. do you think they will say mine is too early to tell too

9. NIE

NIE Well-Known Member

For the past 4 days, I have been suffering from what I thought was PGP (Pelvic Gridle Pain) It seems quite similar and is most likely just another name for the same condition.

It is very painful and I am unable to walk at all. All I can manage is a trip to the toilet by holding onto the walls.

It's too late for me to see a physio about it, but defo get refered as they will be able to help. xxx

10. 1sttimemum

Hope you get some luck soon Anne Marie- i noticed your ticker

11. DebbieM

SPD no longer exists and is actually now referred to as Pelvic Girdle Pain (as I found out on Friday at my physio class).

12. cherylcusack

of to see a nurse at 10 so i,l let you know what she said to me

13. DebbieM

Good luck. Don't let them dismiss it though!

14. cherylcusack

the nurse sent me to the gp and all the gp said was what are your symptons so i said then he said the only thing i can do is refer you to phsyio (cant spell it) dont know how long the waiting list is

15. Emma58

Emma58 Well-Known Member

My midwife referred me for Physio last week, I think it takes a couple of weeks, although it probably depends on you Local health Authority.

16. muppetmummy

muppetmummy Well-Known Member

I had spd in my last pregnancy and it didn't affect my labour at all. Had a normal vaginal delivery with just pethidine and gas and air :D