• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can a 1 year old have bottled water?

Flame

Reaction score
I know your not supposed to give it to babies but can a 1 year old have it? Leif is always after my bottled water but i feel bad when i say no.

you can give bottled water to babies as long as the sodium content is below 10...
:D :D

I think you can, just check the sodium levels as they vary hugely.

yup - bottled water contains different minerals depending on its source

- eg. Volvic contains (mg per litre) 11.5 calcium, 8.0 magnesium, 11.6 sodium, 6.2 potassium, 13.5 chlorides, 6.3 nitrates, 8.1 sulphates, 31.7 silica and 71.0 bicarbonates -

so it wouldn't be suitable for babies cos it has more than 10mg/l.

volvic touch of fruit should be ok it hasnt got any sodium in it at all
its sugar free too! but not sure if the sweetners are ok..? hmm

My daughters all had sips of my bottled water from as young as 6 months. I'd rather they did that than went thirsty. Never knew it was a problem and they are all happy and healthy.

TBH, they also had nuts and lots of other naughty things. Think sometimes there is a danger in being too careful. My youngest never had anything sterilised either - everything went in the dishwasher so didn't feel the need. So long as there's moderation and balance, trust your instincts.

I'll prob get slated for this post now!

MummyJess said:
My daughters all had sips of my bottled water from as young as 6 months. I'd rather they did that than went thirsty. Never knew it was a problem and they are all happy and healthy.

TBH, they also had nuts and lots of other naughty things. Think sometimes there is a danger in being too careful. My youngest never had anything sterilised either - everything went in the dishwasher so didn't feel the need. So long as there's moderation and balance, trust your instincts.

I'll prob get slated for this post now!

not at all - i'm with you completely :D mummy instinct can be very underrated and is easily undermined by professionals when it should be trusted (i don't mean in every situation, but i can think of a few times that i should have gone with my own feeling rather than an HV's opinion)

i've posted a few times about sterilisation actually being somewhat unnecessary if washing bottles is done well and thoroughly - and there are links between over-sterilisation and childhood leukaemia.

i don't think there's anything wrong with bottled water, or tap water either for that matter. but given the variety and choice (with no variance of cost) of mineral water, i just go for the low sodium content one - but TBH i'd do that for myself and not just for my baby :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back