Using bottled water abroad to make up feeds/sterilise.

Lisamj

Reaction score
Hello,

We are off on hols in April. I was thinking of just taking the ready made cartons, but that will add so much weight to our already heavy luggage. If I took powder, can I use bottled water to make up the feeds, or should I boil it first? I'm thinking if I boil it, won't it increase the mineral content even more?

As for sterilising I'll be taking Milton tablets and filling a bowl with water out there. If i use the normal water from the hotel room, will the Milton 'sterilise' the water too, or do I need to use bottled water again?

Thanks for any helps plus any tips on milk feeding abroad!

Thanks

Lisa
xx

I'd also like to know, as we are off to Tenerife in 2 weeks. It's times like this that I
wish i'd really perservered with breast feeding!
Lisa, I bought a cold water travel sterilizer from tesco today for £3 it holds 2 bottles.
So far I plan on just taking the ready made cartons and spreading them over the cases.
Any others tips welcome though xxx

I live in Greece and have only ever used bottled water for food and milk, right from birth. i boil it first. i have never checked the sodium content as there is not much choice of bottled water I tend to use one called 'vikos' or 'zagori' and we cant drink tap water. Matilda has never had any problems.

hope you have a lovely holiday

Claire, I've read if using bottle dwater to make sure the sodium content is no more than 200 mg per lite, and preferably less than 20mg pe litre - I'm just not sure if it needs boiling.

xx

We went on holiday to Croatia and the water was fine, boiling was all we did. We just checked beforehand the water was drinkable.

so jealous cos im not going on holiday!

where are you going? my hv gave me a leaflet which listed countries and brands of bottled water which are suitable ( i have to say i found it difficult on some bottles to read mineral content - im a thickie!) In Spain Font Vella is supposed to be suitable but the label didn't make it look like it was.

Evian is absolutely safe to use and available almost everywhere. You would be fine to use the tap water to steralise your equipment.

Also, if you happen to be going somewhere hot, the best tip somebody gave me was to use your sarong to tie over your pushchair as a lightweight shade - it was much more practical than the stupid umbrella which I bought.

Have fun!

Yeah you will need to boil it and to check for low sodium - in Spain it says that it is suitable for making infant foods on the bottle, so I guess other countries where you can't drink the water would be the same.

We bought sterliser bags from Boots that were fantastic, you just filled the bag with tap water, added the bottles and hung it up somewhere. It saved any messing around with measuring out 5 litres/finding something big enough! I didn't want to guess either as I was scared about the chemicals not being diluted enough!

Thanks to you all. We are going to Cuba and have been told the water isn't suitable for drinking, which is why I'm concerned about using the water to cold sterilise.

Have looked for the steriliser bags but can only find microwave ones. Have found a travel 2 bottle steamer though thats really compact so may go down that route.

Lisa x

We use Evian in England or overseas :oops:

I have never had to sterilise bottles but if I was going to Cuba I would still possibly use Evian to do so, but maybe it's not necessary :think:

Thanks babymagic -did you boil the evian before using it?

Lisamj said:
Thanks to you all. We are going to Cuba and have been told the water isn't suitable for drinking, which is why I'm concerned about using the water to cold sterilise.

Have looked for the steriliser bags but can only find microwave ones. Have found a travel 2 bottle steamer though thats really compact so may go down that route.

Lisa x

I got mine in Boots in Southampton, if you are near there?

Have found them online with boots and other shops too - thanks for your help.

So I guess the bags basically sterilise the tap water as well as the bottles?

Thanks again everyone. Think we are going to need another 20 kgs of baggage allowance!!

Lisa xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back