cake help

Xena

Reaction score
I'm going to be baking Lydia's birthday cake. Can't really afford a shop one they cost a bomb.

Thing is I'm as un-domestic as they come. So....any cake recipes would be smashing. Just a basic sponge will do - I just don't know what quantities of ingredients I need.

Another thing - if I want to put a layer of jam in the middle, do I bake two sponges and put a layer of jam on top of one and then plonk the other cake on top of that, or do I bake just the one sponge and cut it in half and put jam in the middle and then stick it back together again?

Also icing - how do I make that? Icing sugar and hot water? Or does it come ready made? Do you just smear it on?

Sorry I'm so thick :oops:

watching this one with interest - promised OH a cake for his 30th. What the hell was I thinking, I can't bake :doh:

I totally recommend Delia's "All in one Sponge" it is so easy and both me and my friend have made it 3 or 4 times and each time it has been successful.

I'll look it up and type it out if I can't find it on the net!

Edit: Here it is on Delia's site, if you want the chocolate version let me know and I'll send it.

Delia's All in One Sponge

Becky said:
I totally recommend Delia's "All in one Sponge" it is so easy and both me and my friend have made it 3 or 4 times and each time it has been successful.

I'll look it up and type it out if I can't find it on the net!

Edit: Here it is on Delia's site, if you want the chocolate version let me know and I'll send it.

Delia's All in One Sponge

oh that's terrific thanks hun. Yes please I wouldn't mind having a look at the chocolate version - Lydia loves chocolate hehe.

also - the picture at the end where it has a filling in the middle - is it in the middle of two cakes, or one cut in half?

Oh just one more question - instead of a whisk can you use a hand blender?

A pic of the choc version I made for Lucy's birthday:

cake1.jpg

I made the chocolate sponge cake with the chocolate fudge topping & filling.

And here's the recipe (I found I'd already typed it up for another friend)

All in One Sponge Cake

4 oz (110g) self raising flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 oz (110g) soft margarine or butter, at room temperature
4 oz (110g) caster sugar
2 large eggs
2-3 drops vanilla essence

Pre heat the oven to gas mark 3 (325°F, 170°C)

Two 7 inch (18 cm) sponge tins, no less thank 1 inch (2.5cm) deep, lightly greased and lined with grease proof paper (also greased) or silicone paper.

Take a large roomy mixing bowl and sift flour and baking powder into it, holding the sieve high to give the flour a good airing. Then simply add all the other ingredients to the bowl and whisk them – preferably with an electric hand whisk – till thoroughly combined. If the mixture doesn’t drop off a wooden spoon easily when tapped on the side of a bowl, then add 1 or 2 teaspoons of tap warm water and whisk again.

Divide the mixture between the two prepared tins, level off and bake on the centre shelf of the oven for about 30 minutes. When cooked leave them in the tins for only about 30 seconds, then loosen the edges by sliding a palette knife all round and turn them out onto a wire cooling rack. Peel off the base papers carefully and, when cool, sandwich the cakes together with jam or lemon curd (or jam and fresh cream) and dust with icing sugar.

All in One chocolate Sponge
Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to the basic ingredients. Omit the vanilla essence.

All in One coffee and walnut sponge
Add 2oz (50g) of finely chopped walnuts, plus 1 tablespoon of instant coffee mixed with 1 dessert spoon of hot water, to the basic ingredients. Omit the vanilla essence. For filling and topping use Coffee cream mousseine

All in One orange or lemon sponge
Add the grated rind of a medium orange or lemon, plus 1 dessert spoon of the juice, to the basic ingredients. Omit the vanilla essence.

Sponge cake toppings

Fresh lemon curd

Grated rind and juice of 1 large, juicy lemon
3 oz (75g) caster sugar
2 large eggs
2 oz (50g) unsalted butter

Place the the grated lemon rind and sugar in a bowl. In another bowl whisk the lemon juice together with the eggs, then pour this mixture over the sugar. Add the butter (cut into little pieces) and place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until thickened – about 20 minutes. Then cool the curd and use it to sandwich the sponges together, spreading it thickly. If you want to make this ahead, store in a clean dry jar with a screw top lit. It is best eaten within a week.

Note: For Orange curd replace the lemon with orange.

Coffee Cream Mousseline

2.5 oz (60g) of caster sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 large egg yolks
5 oz (150g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water

Place the sugar and water together in a small saucepan and slowly bring it to the boil – keep an eye on it and make sure the sugar has dissolved completely before it comes to the boil. Then let it simmer it gently for about 10-15 minutes or until the mxture forms a “thread” when pressed between thumb and forefinger (to do this take some on a teaspoon, cool it a little, and dip your finger in cold water before testing). If you have a cooking thermometer the temperature should be between 218°F (103°C) and 220°F (105°C).

Now whisk the egg yolks in a bowl (place the bowl on a damp tea towel to steady it) then pour the sugar syrup onto the egg yolks in a steady stream, whisking all the time. Then whisk the butter in, about 1 oz (25g) at a time, till you have a smooth fluffy cream. Now whisk in the dissolved coffee, and use the cream to sandwich the cake and decorate the top ( along with some walnut halves perhaps). This fills and tops a 7 or 8 inch (18 or 20cm) sponge.

Chocolate and soured cream filling

5 oz (150g) plain dessert chocolate
5 fl oz (150ml) soured cream

Break the chocolate into a basin fitted over a pan of barely simmering water, add the soured cream too, and stir – keeping the heat low until the chocolate has melted. Then remove the pan from the heat and as soon as the mixture has cooled, spread it over the centre and top of a 7 or 8 inch (18 or 20cm) chocolate sponge. A few walnuts or hazelnuts are nice for decoration.

Chocolate fudge filling and topping

3 oz (75g) granulated sugar
3 fl oz (75ml) evaporated milk
4 oz (110g) unsweetened cooking chocolate, or plain dessert chocolate
1.5 oz (40g) butter or soft or hard margarine
2 drops vanilla essence

To start with combine the sugar and evaporated milk in a heavy saucepan. Place the pan over a low heat and allow the sugar to dissolve, stirring frequently. When all the granules of sugar have melted, bring the mixture to the boil and simmer very gently for 6 – this time without stirring.

Take the pan off the heat, stir in the chocolate (broken into small pieces) and keep stirring until the chocolate has melted. Finally in the butter and vanilla essence.

Now transfer the mixture to a bowl, cool, then cover with cling film and chill for a couple of hours until it has thickened to a spreadable consistency.

that is awesome thank you soooooo much

that cake you made is brilliant! I hope mine turns out half as well!
:hug: :hug: :hug:

You're welcome!! That cake was only the second time I'd made it. I hadn't baked since school (I was 25) and I tested the recipe a couple of weeks before, found it worked so made it again that second time!

If it worked for me it must work for you!

When I baked orans birthday and christening cake I used a simple sponge recepie and its realls simple its 4 ingredients - EVERYONE loves the cake and its so simple lol

(depends on what size your tin is??)

But for example mine was a 12'' square

14oz Caster Sugar
14oz Flour
14oz Marge
7 Eggs

(basically whatever you use for the first 3 you use half the amount of eggs, so if you did a 8oz recepie you would use 8oz of each and 4 eggs. If you let me know what size tin your using and ill get the measurments for you.)

All you do is, chuck the sugar, flour and marg in to a big bowl, then the eggs (smell each one before you full open the shell to check its not off lol) then mix it all together (mixer or wooden spoon) pour it in the tin and stick it in the over (the above was 180 for about an hour, ill get the relevant time for your sized cake hun)

If you want chocolate then just add coco powder to the recipie as well to make it a chocolate cake. To make butter cream for the filling, butter, icing sugar and coco powder, beat together till its a pasted, taste it...yummy (ill get the amounts for you, again once you say the tin size)

Re the filling, personally I think its easier to make 2 thinner cakes and put em together rather than cut it but it depends on size, it can be done either way which ever really!!

Icing, you can do it the way you said, or buy ''ready to roll'' icing, roll it and plop it on lol.

When is her birthday hun????

This was my first ever cake :
n500714498_518090_6732.jpg

then I read lots of stuff and discovered I may have a bit of a talent for it, this was my 2nd cake
n500714498_873041_782.jpg

jennywren said:
When is her birthday hun????

This was my first ever cake :
n500714498_518090_6732.jpg

then I read lots of stuff and discovered I may have a bit of a talent for it, this was my 2nd cake
n500714498_873041_782.jpg

wow those cakes are fab!

Thanks so much for the recipes you've posted :hug: :hug:

Her birthday will be on Thursday (25th)

Can I ask - did you use ready to roll icing on your cakes?

Wow those cakes are much better than mine - I can't decorate to save my life!! Mine taste great but look nothing special - those are fantastic!

This is the cake i made for Lola's birthday

004-16.jpg

It was just 2 packets of chocolate sponge mix from asda 35p each (1 packet for each layer)

I made a simple chocolate butter cream filling -

50g icing sugar
25g soften butter
50g melted milk chocolate

Then i melted a 100g bar of milk chocolate for the top of the cake and decorated with white chocolate buttons :D

How do you do writing on a cake? Do you have to use one of those icing squeezy sack thinggys?

If so, where do you get them from?

Xena said:
How do you do writing on a cake? Do you have to use one of those icing squeezy sack thinggys?

Yes you do. YOu can get the re-usable ones or the plastic throw away ones. In my little local cake shop reusable was £7 and the throw away bags 39p. the Metal pointy bit for the end was about £2 and the size on the christening cake was a 1.5

Then best thing to use is royal icing sugar and whisk it up till it stiffens a bit.

Xena said:

You can buy ready made stuff from asda etc as well. It's ready made icing in the pen so you can write with it.

The white one i got was from tesco, I think it was about £3.

They do red, pink & blue ones though in asda though. I think the make is supercook and they are under £1 :D

thank you

you've all been brilliant help thanks so much. I shall let you know how the cake baking goes on. I'm going to tackle it probably on Wednesday.

i suck at baking sorry! good luck hope it goes well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back