Cake help plz!

Tangerinedream

Reaction score
Any cake making experts here?

I made a Weetabix cake (slimming world recipe). I just took it out of the oven and tried to put it onto the cooling rack but most of it is stuck to the tin! I followed the instructions very carefully and used a non-stick cake tin. Is it because it didnt cook for long enough? Im gutted now. The top bit looks perfect but the middle underneath is really sloppy :( Is there anything I can do to rescue it?

Im not very experienced with cake making.

what's a weetabix cake? what ingredients? I go to slimming world and I've never heard of it :think:

I've got to say a lot of SW recipes don't work if you follow their instructions - it always takes trial and error - the lemon couscous cake I make from there I have to bake for 1 1/2 times the amount of time they say

I was going to bake this afternoon - but I just ate a chocolate cookie instead - as far as I'm concerned when AFs here - I can eat anything I want :shakehead:

I know the feeling. OH just bought a HUGE dairy milk and guess who had some :oops:

Here is the weetabix cake recipe

2 Weetabix
113g/4oz sultanas
142ml/5floz skimmed milk
142ml 5floz water
113g/4oz self-raising flour
1 teaspoon mixed spice
14g/½ oz artificial sweetener (optional)
1 egg, beaten

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, 350ºF or Gas Mark 4

2. Put the Weetabix and sultanas in a bowl. Pour the milk and water over the top and leave to soak up all the liquid.

3. Stir in the flour, mixed spice, sweetener and beaten egg.

4. Spoon the mixture into a 454g (1lb) lined/non-stick loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for 1¼ hours until cooked.

5. Cool on a wire rack before serving then cut into 12 slices.

Serves: 12
Syns per serving:
3½ Syns on both choices

At least my house smells lovely mmmmmmmmm

well - try what I tried with the lemon one - I eventually stopped using a loaf tin and just used a cake tin instead - I think the loaf tins are too deep and the inside doesn't cook until the outside is burnt.

I couldn't cope with having 12 servings 3 syns each :oops: I'd end up eating the whole thing :wink:

as opposed to my big chocolate cookie :wink:

Here it is. It tastes bloody lovely :D

002-3.jpg

:(
001-4.jpg

I would have maybe put it back in for a bit more and kept an eye on it

I'd either lightly grease the base of the tin or put some greaseproof paper in to help turn it out. Again very lightly greased. Without a greased surface or greaseproof

If in doubt as to something being cooked cake wise, just turn the over down to about 150C and give it about 10 minutes extra before taking out of the over. That way it shouldn't burn the top, but will allow the middle to cook through.

:shhh: :shhh:

if you butter the tin it may have been fine (if a lot more synful :wink: )

libs said:
:shhh: :shhh:

if you butter the tin it may have been fine (if a lot more synful :wink: )

I'll try that next time. its sooooo nice I might make anotherone this week :shhh:

My motto is its better it looks bad and tastes good then the other way round ;)

even then it still looks fine hon!

Did you grease it with some butter prior to cooking?

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back