Cake Disaster! Update - Whoohooo I did it.. Pic!

Foxxi

Reaction score
WHOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I did it... I am well chuffed with myself!

What d'ya reckon... blood sweat and tears I'tell ya! :D

Fynns B'day cake for his party at nursery tomorra :cheer:

cake.jpg

Well.... Id never made a cake before up until last week.. as I mentioned on a different thread the other day!

And I was gonna make Fynns birthday cake...

On Tuesday, Im going to Sweetcheeks' new crib... so decided to bake her a cake (as a bit of a practice and a new crib warming gift) ..Iv been in the kitchen alllllllllllllllllllllll day... have just went to ice it... and the cake has collapsed cos it was soo soft!

Im gutted :( Think I'll buy her a house plant instead... and buy Fynns bday cake from Tesco! :(

Awww no :( I'm rubbish in the kitchen but practice makes perfect so dont give up, maybe just buy a plant as a back-up plan :lol: Good luck ;) x

I have had many a cake disaster so know how you feel :lol:

however, I did successfully bake OH a birthday cake last week and it actually tasted quite good :shock: Practice makes perfect - I'm sure the next one will be lovely :D

Oh no, it's awful when that happens - you spend all that time just to chuck it in the bin :wall:

Hope you don't give up though, the usual 2 reasons for that happening to a cake is that either you opened the oven before the cake had been cooked for 30 mins or you did cook the cake for long enough/hot enough.

foxxi what recipie did you use and how long did you cook it and what heat?

I used this recipe

http://www.cacaoweb.net/easy-chocolate-cake.html

I have a real powerful fan assisted oven.. so always have to cook things for less and on a lower heat than what the instructions say.. so I cooked it for 35 mins on 160o heat. I done 2 layers (at separate times cos I only had one cake tin) The first layer was perfect.. the second layer just crumbled and totally fell apart :? I also stuck the long thin wooden prong thing in eaac and there was no mixture on it..

It tastes fab... just looks a right mess.. hubby said to still take it to Krystals.. and to tell her that its meant to look like that.. that its called a 'Chocolate Mud Mess Cake' :roll:

Im gonna hang up my apron I think... I really am really am gutted.. I even made little chocolate heart type things for the top of it :(

I was gonna make this tomorra for Fynns party at nursery for Wednesday..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OqzVWKJr_hI

But Im not gonna bother now... I mean what hope have I got :doh: :doh: :doh:

pmsl at your husband, they thinki there so funny dont they lol

I would say that the 2nd one was maybe just not cooked long enough - its really hard adjusting times for fan ovens (min is the same) and its really hit and miss to what works one time might not another!! Keep one of the cakes and do another just cook 10 higher and for 15 mins longer. you can take out if starts to burn but i doubt it will!

I cant look at that you tube link at work. poo.

give it a go hun, dont give up to easily, the sense of satidfaction you will get once you have done it will surprise you!

jennywren said:
pmsl at your husband, they thinki there so funny dont they lol

I would say that the 2nd one was maybe just not cooked long enough - its really hard adjusting times for fan ovens (min is the same) and its really hit and miss to what works one time might not another!! Keep one of the cakes and do another just cook 10 higher and for 15 mins longer. you can take out if starts to burn but i doubt it will!

I cant look at that you tube link at work. poo.

give it a go hun, dont give up to easily, the sense of satidfaction you will get once you have done it will surprise you!

Bummer, Ur at work! :(

Thanx chick... I'll give it one more go with what you said... if it doesnt work.. I give up!

All frickin day in the kitchen today for fook all! :doh:

just realised hun it says 180 for 35-45 mins tbh I would be tempted to do 170 for 40 mins thats what I would do anyhow!

fingers crossed for you hun, you could always do a simple sponge and add the coco powder to make it a chocolate one??

you got any pics of the cake yuo wanna do for finn?

I'll do what you say for my next one... bake a little higher for a little longer :) thanx for the tip (I need all the tips I can get :D )

This is a like the one I was wanting to make Fynn

http://www.bettycrocker.com/Recipes/Rec ... peId=45538

Have to admit... Im not at all looking forward to doin it now.. feel a bit disheartned by it!

awww thats an ace cake.

Foxxi are you bothered by it being chocolate cause if your happy with victoria sponge I can give you the SIMPLEST recepie in the world!!

that cake can be done by you, they are easier than they look you know, they look daunting but are not so bad. Im telling you when you do it and it looks great you will have the bug lol

does the you tube video show you how to do it??

No ..Im not bothered about it being chocolate at all... a normal sponge would be great too... so, yes please.. If you wouldnt mind sending me the recipe you have that would be fab thanx!

The youtube vid gives step by step how to make the dinasoar cake.. but I'll still no doubt cock it up! :rotfl:

I did so much reading on the internet to get this cake right and I still nackered it up :D

Foxxi said:
I did so much reading on the internet to get this cake right and I still nackered it up :D

lol its easy done though its simply because of the times & temps they give are not for these new super fan assisted ovens that are so much hotter so you have to guestimet the times and temps and its a bit of an exact science like getting the perfect yorkshire puds :rotfl:

I have it written down at home properly (for all the different sized tins) but just to give you an idea its basically 3 of one and 1/2 of the other lol so for example

8oz Self Raising Flour
8oz sugar
8oz Marg
4 Eggs
few drops of vanillia essence (or could drop in lemon if you fance a lemony flavoured one)

chuck it all in a bowl in that order, whisk or beat it (depending if electric or wooden spoon type of gal lol) stick it in a tin and in the oven. Jobs a good un!

Thanx chick..... I'll give it a bash tomorra night :?

And if I knacker it up... I will hold you fully responsible!!! :D

Foxxi said:
Thanx chick..... I'll give it a bash tomorra night :?

And if it doesnt work... I will hold you fully responsible!!! :D

OK if you can find me you can beat me with the wooden spoon and force broken sponge cake down my throat lol

What size is your cake tin and is it round or square and ill get the right ingredients and cooking times for you

Its a round cake tin and its 8"

If it turns out ok... I will put some in an envelope and post you a piece! :D

Ta very muchly! :wink:

:clap: well done Foxxi that looks fab! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I have the joys of christmas cakes this weekend :roll: ...unless you fancy making them for me? :D

Oh thats FANTASTIC!!!!! I am so impressed!!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back