Caffeine weirdness

Rosebay

Reaction score
Hi,

ok- not sure if this is just my body being weird but is anyone else hyper-sensitive to caffeine now? I didn't drink any caffeine during my first tri as I was paranoid about some report that came out linking caffeine in the frist tri to an increased risk of miscarriage (probably nonsense but I was super paranoid). Since getting to the second tri I've only had about 3 cups of coffee but each time the one cup of normal cafe strength coffee makes me really really hyper, a bit jittery and frankly still high off it hours later. I had one at 2pm as someone kindly bought me some without asking me what I wanted first and I can't sleep! I don't feel as jittery as I did earlier but I know it's still affecting me.

I never did drink lots of coffee and tea as I do get hyper after about 3 cups and one red bull was always more fun than me drinking (I just fall asleep when drunk) but this is seriously weird!

Is it just me?

It's half 1 in the morning and my body is knackered and my brain is jibbering! Arrgh!
+++

Ah- just Googled it and might have answered my own question, apparently you metabolize it slower:-

>>First, caffeine is a stimulant and a diuretic, so it increases blood pressure and heart rate (not recommended during pregnancy), and causes frequent urination that could lead to dehydration. While you are in control of the exact amount of caffeine that enters your body, your baby is not; caffeine crosses the placenta and acts on your baby just as it acts on you. Normally, the effects of caffeine on an adult wear off in six hours, but in pregnant women, it may take twice as long to leave the body. Also, because the baby is still developing he will not be able to metabolize the caffeine efficiently which could result in altered sleep patterns and movement in the later stages of pregnancy....While most women and babies have no negative health effects from low to moderate caffeine consumption, caffeine sensitivity varies in each individual mom and baby. If you are normally caffeine sensitive, take care to avoid it during pregnancy, as the effects of caffeine are greater because it is more slowly metabolized in pregnant women. Avoid caffeine containing foods such as chocolate, coffee flavored ice creams and yogurts, and stick to fruity desserts like pies. Be sure to stay well hydrated with beverages such as decaffeinated tea, juice, and water.<<

Well there you go- at least I'm not imagining things, my OH was like "no way can you still be feeling it" but using less polite words!
+++

Hi,

ok- not sure if this is just my body being weird but is anyone else hyper-sensitive to caffeine now? I didn't drink any caffeine during my first tri as I was paranoid about some report that came out linking caffeine in the frist tri to an increased risk of miscarriage (probably nonsense but I was super paranoid). Since getting to the second tri I've only had about 3 cups of coffee but each time the one cup of normal cafe strength coffee makes me really really hyper, a bit jittery and frankly still high off it hours later. I had one at 2pm as someone kindly bought me some without asking me what I wanted first and I can't sleep! I don't feel as jittery as I did earlier but I know it's still affecting me.

I never did drink lots of coffee and tea as I do get hyper after about 3 cups and one red bull was always more fun than me drinking (I just fall asleep when drunk) but this is seriously weird!

Is it just me?

It's half 1 in the morning and my body is knackered and my brain is jibbering! Arrgh!
+++

Ah- just Googled it and might have answered my own question, apparently you metabolize it slower:-

>>First, caffeine is a stimulant and a diuretic, so it increases blood pressure and heart rate (not recommended during pregnancy), and causes frequent urination that could lead to dehydration. While you are in control of the exact amount of caffeine that enters your body, your baby is not; caffeine crosses the placenta and acts on your baby just as it acts on you. Normally, the effects of caffeine on an adult wear off in six hours, but in pregnant women, it may take twice as long to leave the body. Also, because the baby is still developing he will not be able to metabolize the caffeine efficiently which could result in altered sleep patterns and movement in the later stages of pregnancy....While most women and babies have no negative health effects from low to moderate caffeine consumption, caffeine sensitivity varies in each individual mom and baby. If you are normally caffeine sensitive, take care to avoid it during pregnancy, as the effects of caffeine are greater because it is more slowly metabolized in pregnant women. Avoid caffeine containing foods such as chocolate, coffee flavored ice creams and yogurts, and stick to fruity desserts like pies. Be sure to stay well hydrated with beverages such as decaffeinated tea, juice, and water.<<

Well there you go- at least I'm not imagining things, my OH was like "no way can you still be feeling it" but using less polite words!
+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back