c section 'v' vaginal

emma28

Reaction score
Though I'd start the thread then.

I spent all this pregnancy (I'm 28wks) thinking I had to have a c section. Was happy about it as I've already had one...emergency not choice... but now I'm told that I look like I will go to term this time so will have a vaginal birth.

I'm not too happy with this. Like I say I was expecting a cestion, so it's shock, but also because of my dates. I really really do not want to be in hospital over christmas. My little boy is 3 and I will be heartbroken to not be here on christmas morning. I think he will look at it like i'd rather be with his sister than him :cry:

Also I live a long way from the hospital I have chosen and if it's snowing I'm gonna have a problem getting there. If I know the date I can borrow a pick-up or even a tractor (god forbid :rotfl: )

And of course....the pain. My god!! It cannot be normal to sqeeze it out of there....I know women have been doing it for ever but still....?!?! I also do not want to see it coming out. :pray:

I know you'll all think I'm stupid....but there you go. Why I'd rather have a c section.

Why would you all prefer a vaginal birth?

'

Why would you all prefer a vaginal birth?

i wouldnt lol
im scared of the pain of delivering but then id be scared of having a section too because i saw what my sister was like after she had hers.. it took her a while to recover etc and was in hospital for over a week, so that would worry me too.

but you think hundreds of years ago they had to do it vaginally with no choice!
at least we have pain relief these days!

you're not going to see it - unless you want to - or you're a contortonist (sp)
:wink:
The pain is bearable. If it wasn't the human race would have died out. And from what I've seen of my sisters after CS and their experiences I would say less than the pain you can have after a CS. And you can have pain relief - an epidural if you wish.

The chances of delivering on Christmas morning are pretty unlikely - one day out of many weeks when a delivery is probable. Your son won't actually see it like that at all. He won't actually have memories at this point of any other Christmas days so it won't seem like a huge loss to him - just the way Christmas is.

You have a long time from the beginning of labour to actually delivering most of the time so if the weather is bad, at the first sign of labour get transport arranged and get to the hospital explain to them that this may happen - I'm sure all the people who would lend transport for a preplanned labour would also lend in an emergency.

I would prefer a vaginal birth as within 24 hours I was back to normal other than a little twinge when I sat down. You can drive again that day if you want, you can push the pram etc where I know my sisters have struggled after CS. You have a much smaller risk of infection, you can come home the same day (within 6 hrs) if all is well, and most of the pain is behind you when your LO is in your arms.

but the decision is ultimately one for you to make with your mw. :hug:

i dont want a section unless its life or death
i dont care how much it hurts or how bad my bits end up no way do i want to be cut open
just personal choice
manda xx

I'd have another natural delivery any day, once the baby is born the pain is gone, if you have a c section it can take a while to recover, people have told me they found it hard to hold their baby for the first week or so & their wounds can get infected (so can stitches after a vag birth but its less common)

manda224 said:
i dont want a section unless its life or death
i dont care how much it hurts or how bad my bits end up no way do i want to be cut open
just personal choice
manda xx

same here. i cant imagine it being a very nice experience. when i gave birth to millie i lifted her straight onto my tummy and fed her soon after, i dont think you get the opportunity to do this whilst being stitched up. I tore very badly inside and out and was able to be stitched whilst feeding millie. Obviously if you have to have a section then i agree with them. just my opinion :)

when i was first preg i was frightened of natural delivery- esp after seeing videos of them. but as i got nearer my due date i thought id need a cs due 2 breech baby- and that frightened me more the idea of being cut open while awake and having an injection in my spine and not being able 2 move my legs- frightened me even more!

in the end i had a natural birth and im glad i did and would want the same next time. u cant see it, and squeezing it out doesnt hurt like youd imagine it would (although the labour pains do!) and im really proud of my little self hehe i feel like 10 men coz i done it its like a badge of honour!

clairescunny55 said:
same here. i cant imagine it being a very nice experience. when i gave birth to millie i lifted her straight onto my tummy and fed her soon after, i dont think you get the opportunity to do this whilst being stitched up. I tore very badly inside and out and was able to be stitched whilst feeding millie. Obviously if you have to have a section then i agree with them. just my opinion :)

This is what I am scared off. You can hold your baby immediately after a section if all is well, while they stitch you up after, and then it's a small wound on your belly, not your lady bits.....I've heard of people who can only pee in a warm bath after a vag birth!! And I can't imagine being ripped to my bum :shock:

I guess there is horror stories on both sides, and these typically are what we remember.

I've had three and if I were to have a fourth (not bloody likely!) I'd definitely opt for a section.

Mind you, I was just very unlucky with all three. I got ripped to shreds each time. I think I'm just too small to deliver, yet here they make you go natural and it's very rare to opt for a C-section.

Each natural birth took me six weeks to recover from. I needed blood, had to stay in hospital for bloody ages. No different to a C-section, except my bits are now completely trashed........ :cry:

I really dont reccomend c sections. I had one and the pain after was unbearable. It took me over 2 months to recover and feel confident lifting my son.

C sections are major abdominal sugery, in many cases they are done as the option of a vaginal delivery, for whatever reason, is not viable. There are many complications that can arise from having a c/s, eg. blood loss, infection, prolonged healing. Not to mention the inability to drive for up to 6 weeks, or lift anything heavier than your baby (including your little boy). I personally would opt for a vaginal birth every time, yes, it hurts, i tore with my first, but with freya i was fine and felt physically great less than a week later.
Not to mention the fact i was out of hospital hours later, with a section, the usual minimum stay after a c/s is 3 days.
:hug: for whatever u decide.

last time i had an emergency section and ive chosen to have one again this time, i know receovery is longer, but i just dont feel comfy with the thought of baby coming out normally. i been watching labour videos and i feel so faint.

if u want a section, they just tell them u would feel happier, they cant deny you of one

Hi

I had an emergency with Kiara then a manditory one with Kadyn as my pelvis is too small to deliver my big babies :lol: but i would of loved to try a vaginal birth :D would be faster recovery too!!

Aaawwwwwwwww emma28 :hug: :hug: :hug:
I really hope you're at home for Christmas to be with your LO :hug:
It's sad to hear you upset about the thought of giving birth to your baby vaginally, but not everyone is, so I would just say read and watch some positive birth stories, as many in the mainstream today involve a lot of distressing and rare examples of childbirth.
I'd recommend the book 'Childbirth Without Fear', by Dr.Grantly Dick-Read, just remember the more you fear and expect something to be bad, the more it will be, if that makes sense? I chose Hypnobirthing to help me focus on what I was about to do when I gave birth, to see it as a natural process, something I'd experience in a personal way no-one else ever would, and I learnt relaxation, breathing and hypnosis techniques, and had a wonderful birth partner on top :D
Whatever happens I really wish you a safe and happy birth, and until you've been through the experience, it's hard to know how you'll feel about it :hug: As for not wanting to look, you won't have to, and on the day if you get to that opportunity, you may suprise yourself and want to?
Very best wishes emma28, just do what feels right :hug:

Cheers Girls, :hug:

I will just do whatever my consultant says is best. I have every confidence in him...even though I'm bricking it :lol: From what you all say the recovery is really quick, and i thnk there is something you can rub on your perineum to make it stretchy? Any ideas? Also do you know if you can be out of hospital as quick if you have an epidural?
Dh says that with Jonah only being 3, Santa could come any night and it would be christmas....which I hadn't thought of but is ok i guess :)
And the chances of it being that morning are slim I suppose :pray:

Whenever ever things change, I panic! :wall: :wall: How I get through day to day life is anyones guess!! :lol:

Hi,
I just wanted to say that I have had sections with both of my boys and they were really lovely experiences. I was home after two days with Euan and doing most normal things except for hoovering and driving straight away. I certainly had no problems lifting my little boy.
I didn't feel as if I had had major surgery and was definately more mobile than lots of the ladies who had had vaginal births so I just wanted to say that a section birth can be just as nice as a vaginal one.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back