Breastfeeding

Pregnopaws

Reaction score
I was reading Gina Fords "Contented little baby book" last night and she doesn't agree with breastfeeding on demand, but waking baby up every 2-3 hours or something so that you maintain a constant and efficient milk supply and don't suffer exhaustion/ cracked nipples etc! :shock:

Are any of you planning to breastfeed on demand, on a routine or giving bottles? I was going to just wing it on demand, but now my mum's hassling me saying that baby will probably need formula top up at night anyway, how the hell does she know, he hasn't even come out yet! lol

i've no idea
when baby's hungry i'll feed her :D lol

If all goes to plan then I'm going to start off with baby led feeding routine (breastfeeding) (i.e. when baby want to feed I'll feed her) and then gradually get her into a routine. I think it's hard to really decide before the baby comes and it also depends on how well I take to breat feeding. I'm going to play it by ear and rely on my mum to help me out :D Also I have heard that every 3 hrs is a good routine and I'm going to try that too, if I get really sore then I'll express and substitute some of the booby feeds with a bottle :? :D

I kind of agree with you guys.. and i don't really like the idea of waking baby up, sort of feels like force feeding!

I don't know..it's a decision I've been struggling to make. I always thought that you had to feed on demand..but my Mum fed every 4 hours and my OHs Mum fed on demand..
I don't think I could let baby go without if she was hungry I'd probably be in tears but I guess once she's in that routine she will learn to adapt and it would be easier in the long run. I'm not sure :think:

I feed on demand :D I had a flick through her book in Mcare and when it said that baby should be up and dressed by 7am, I put it straight down again!! Pah! It's near on impossible to get up and dressed by 9.30!

I never fully understand why some books recommend rigid and enforced routines. Babies are babies, not soldiers!

A newborn's needs are purely instinctive. When they get hungry, they want to feed. When they get tired, they want to sleep. They don't know the meaning of a routine. Even sleeping throughout the night is 'unnatural' to a newborn and has to be learned.

I'd say that when possible allow your baby to feed when they want it. Especially when breastfeeding as the baby will take as much as they need.

MattM said:
I never fully understand why some books recommend rigid and enforced routines. Babies are babies, not soldiers!

A newborn's needs are purely instinctive. When they get hungry, they want to feed. When they get tired, they want to sleep. They don't know the meaning of a routine. Even sleeping throughout the night is 'unnatural' to a newborn and has to be learned.

I'd say that when possible allow your baby to feed when they want it. Especially when breastfeeding as the baby will take as much as they need.

They certainly do take what they need, but according to this book research finds that only 67% of mothers feeding on demand are still breastfeeding at 1 month, most having given up at 2-4 weeks of age.

Reasons for giving up are:
Quote:
A feeling they are not producing enough milk on demand.
Cracked nipples and pain during feeding.
The baby is discontented or not thriving.
Exhaustion due to baby feeding for hours at a time.
Unquote

And also:

Reasons why demand feeding can fail:
Quote:
The term demand feeding can be used too literally and baby is fed every time it cries., i.e. mothers not looking for other reasons why baby is crying.
If baby continues to feed 10-12 times a day baby becomes exhausted through lack of sleep.
Exhaustion leads to mother becoming too tired to concentrate, hence bad breast positioning.
A sleepy baby left too long on the breast is the main reason for cracked and painful nipples.
A sleepy baby left too long between feeds reduces chances of building up a good supply.
Unquote.

It does bear thinking about but then again :roll:

I'll just feed on demand and hopefully he'll settle into his own routine :D

I feed on demand - still do now at nearly 6 months. But a pattern emerged very early on and so we do have a routine of sorts. There is a difference between a routine and a regime. Regime sounds a bit too military for my liking. I have never suffered from cracked nipples, my baby sleeps at a predictable time each day, and for a predictable time each night. She is light for her age, but then if you look around you'll find breastfed babies tend to be lighter than bottle fed babies. If you find that a strict regime works better for you though, then stick to it.

One thing I think you can be certain of - babies are tiring whatever you do with them, and I don't think any one baby book author can guarantee that you won't be tired at some point whatever you do.

When Ryan was born he got a bit jaundiced and I was told to make sure he feeds every 3 hours at least or else he'll get so jaundiced he'll have to go back into hospital.

But other than that I just feed him when he wants to be fed...

I fed James on demand and will this one too. I only lasted a week at breastfeeding last time but James was ill and I was very stressed so that probably had an effect on my milk supply.

My mum gave me grief when I was breastfeeding James because he wasn't going 4 hours between feeds, she didn't understand that babys have the stomach the size of a walnut and feed frequently in the first few weeks to get your milk supply up. She belongs to the generation that used to put baby rice or weetabix in their babys bottles so they're too stuffed to do anything but sleep for 4 hours!

I'm not a fan of Gina Ford, I don't agree with trying to get baby into a routine so soon. I'll just feed baby when he's hungry and sleep when he sleeps for the first few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back