Breastfeeding vs Ovulation

LouiseB

Reaction score
Hiya mummies :)

I just read that you cannot start ttc another child while breastfeeding because ovulation wouldn't occur until you stop.

Presuming i ever get pregnant, i was hoping to get right down to making more babies in close succession but i also wanted to breastfeed or at least pump until they are each about a year old.

I just wondered what your cycles were like and if anyone got pregnant while they were still nursing a child or if infact it is physically impossible to be pregnant and nurse?

Thanks

Nerva mum got pregnant while still feeding her little girl :)

Supposedly the hormonal effects should mean Breastfeeding suppresses Ovulation but frequently it really doesn't!!

Wish I could find you a good source to refer too but Google is giving me a lot of 'discussion' results, sorry.

I've also recently read that breastfeeding is supposed to be a good form of contraception!
PM Mervs Mum, she's a breastfeeding guru xx

I breastfed my son untill I was 12 weeks pregnant... But I think as long as you only BF and don't feed your baby any solids or formula it should reduce the chances of getting pregnant. But again saying that my periods returned after 4 months even though I was only BF.

I got pregnant while breastfeeding my DD so do not use as a form of contraception. When I looked into it apparently once your baby is only waking once or twice in the night for a feed (going for 5 hours or more without needing to feed) you can start ovulating. I didn't even have a period. In all fairness we had just started trying too so we were being hopeful

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back