breastfeeding VERY hungry babies - help please

laetitia85

Reaction score
I never thought I would find breastfeeding so difficult – Kenzo is such a hungry baby and demands the breast literally every 30 minutes apart from when he is sleeping. The midwife told me to give it to him whenever he asks but my nipples can’t handle the demand. Engorgement is not such a problem anymore, it’s the demand that I can’t really handle. Any advice?

breast feeding is very demanding in the first few weeks anyway- until u and ur baby get accomplished at it- i fed millie every 3 hours and she was on for up to 90 minutes at a time (so only 90 minutes break!) it was exhausting. iv heard boys are even more demanding tho, im sorry i dont kno what to suggest :(
but good luck :hug:

ryan used to b/f every 30 mins and it was constant, even through the night. he didnt sleep at all through the night so i tried putting him on formula. I exclusivily b/f for the first 4 weeks then i was just too tired to cope anymore and started to get depressed through lack of sleep so i gave him formula and b/f and night. Gave him a bottle last thing at night and now he sleeps 11pm-7am, has a breast feed then goes back to sleep till 10 am :dance:

all i can say is dont worry, it wont last forever xx :hug:

Keep going laetitia - you're doing a brilliant job. This is the hardest part - you need to ignore visitors (I know not easy at this time of year particularly), get people to bring you drinks and food for you and just feed, feed, feed. I know its constant, we've all been there and you just have to ride it out - I promise its only for the first 2-3 weeks that feeding is so intense (then again during growth spurts).

As midna says, at the point you think you can't cope any longer, it'll start to get better - you are only a few days in, please, please bite down, ride out the pain of sore nipples and keep going - its sooooo worth it! I believe there are nipple shields and things you can get if it gets too unbearable - ask your HV about these if you feel you need them.

If you want to use formula too, I don't think its recommended to mix feed until Kenzo is a little bit older until your milk supply has settled down (around 6 weeks) and you can introduce a bottle without risking nipple confusion - although I know other posters on here have mix fed since the early days with success. Its all trial and error and you just have to muddle through and see what works for you.

Good luck hon - we're all here for you - post whenever you need us.

Love

Valentine Xxx

It does get better, he's only ikkle still so needs topping up regularly. I remember Ryan feeding every 2 hours for an hour. It gets less and less gradually. It took a lot of encouragement for me to carry on b'feeding but I'm glad now that I did as it's a lot more convenient than formula. All I can suggest is the occasional paracetamol if you're in a lot of pain, and use the nipple cream after feeds or whenever you remember. Also make sure your OH is positive towards you about it... without Nat I may well have given up at points. And it really does get better about 2 weeks. x

Both mine were demand fed and demanded a lot at the start, your nipples will toughen up, don't worry it's very normal!

Looks like you and me in same boat! (I posted in ask a mum)

Boys, huh!! :roll:

valentine said:
Keep going laetitia - you're doing a brilliant job. This is the hardest part - you need to ignore visitors (I know not easy at this time of year particularly), get people to bring you drinks and food for you and just feed, feed, feed. I know its constant, we've all been there and you just have to ride it out - I promise its only for the first 2-3 weeks that feeding is so intense (then again during growth spurts).

As midna says, at the point you think you can't cope any longer, it'll start to get better - you are only a few days in, please, please bite down, ride out the pain of sore nipples and keep going - its sooooo worth it! I believe there are nipple shields and things you can get if it gets too unbearable - ask your HV about these if you feel you need them.

If you want to use formula too, I don't think its recommended to mix feed until Kenzo is a little bit older until your milk supply has settled down (around 6 weeks) and you can introduce a bottle without risking nipple confusion - although I know other posters on here have mix fed since the early days with success. Its all trial and error and you just have to muddle through and see what works for you.

Good luck hon - we're all here for you - post whenever you need us.

Love

Valentine Xxx

Great advice :)

Keep going hon, it's normal and does get better :hug:

laetitia85 said:
I never thought I would find breastfeeding so difficult – Kenzo is such a hungry baby and demands the breast literally every 30 minutes apart from when he is sleeping. The midwife told me to give it to him whenever he asks but my nipples can’t handle the demand. Engorgement is not such a problem anymore, it’s the demand that I can’t really handle. Any advice?
all babies are hungry - my first fed every 30 minutes . in fact she was attached to my boob for the first 5 months of her life :D
what you have to do if you want to keep BF is just feed the baby as and when he demands it. What else have you to do which is more important ? :D Just eat regularly and drink at each feed and you will be fine. In a few weens you will find that the feeds settle down and baby feeds less and you feel more relaxed.
you're doing a great job and you are giving your baby the best thing you can. time and breast milk. :hug:

Keep going sweetie, it sounds like your doing a fantastic job!!!

You're doing great!! Sounds like your LO is getting a great start, lots of time with Mummy and plenty of lovely milk, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back