Breastfeeding Risk of Dehydration

Charlie:-)

Reaction score
Not sure where this belongs so please feel free to move if necessary.

Never heard of breastfed babies at risk of becoming dehydrated but apparently it does happen, studies going ahead to find out how common or un common as the case may be. Interesting read and fairly important to be aware of, especially if like the report suggests it tends to be more first time mums who are more likely to be affected and within the first few weeks of feeding.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7867686.stm

Although I appreciate that this is a medical investigation, I think this is a real shame that this issue has been highlighted.

99.9% of women will be able to breastfeed and if they want to, just need encouragement and support to do so. Therefore, in my opinion, this article and subsequent investigation, just leads to paranoia and panic among first time mothers who are keen to breastfeed.

Valentine Xxx

I got told by my middy that babies who are breast fed dont need to be given any other drink other then breast milk until the time that feeding is stopped eg water,

I know someone's baby who was hospitalised with this. Despite having a mid wife who knew she had PCOs she was never told this may mean her milk supply wouldn't come in, She was breast feeding thinking everything was fine as he would go for about the right time and then go to sleep (she was told later he went to sleep form exhaustion after sucking so hard and not getting anything) and she said the guilt when seeing the look of relief on his face with his frist bottle ws heart breaking.

Luckily it was picked up because he was being frequently weighed.

But how negligent of the MW not to even mention it in the first place.

Sandi

Melly+2 said:
I got told by my middy that babies who are breast fed dont need to be given any other drink other then breast milk until the time that feeding is stopped eg water,
That's true.

The article isn't really about whether they need water to drink together with breast milk, its saying that:-

Severe hypernatraemic dehydration is a rare but potentially fatal condition.

It has been suggested that the number of cases may be rising as more women heed the "breast is best" message.
I'm really saddened by this article. I definitely don't think breast is best if baby's health is in danger, but do think articles like this may just encourage more first time mums to feel anxious and be very paranoid about weight gain and may even encourage people not even to try.

Melly+2 said:

I think the issue highlighted is that some mums don't find supply is established early enough and THAT causes the problems. My sister had a lot of trouble with her first baby who ended up in hospital

I think it would be a real pity if this caused more mums who might want to breast feed not to consider it though. The issue has to be in improving the support available, not discouraging breastfeeding perseverance.

Minxy said:
I think the issue highlighted is that some mums don't find supply is established early enough and THAT causes the problems. My sister had a lot of trouble with her first baby who ended up in hospital

I think it would be a real pity if this caused more mums who might want to breast feed not to consider it though. The issue has to be in improving the support available, not discouraging breastfeeding perseverance.

I certainly hope that more support will be offered as suggested in the report rather than giving breastfeeding a bad name and putting people off, I think you jit the nail on the head.

Im surprised though that out of the few replies so far there have been 1 known case of this (Minxy I get the impression your sisters baby wasnt dehydrated thats why I said 1 known case). Will be interesting to see the results of the studies.

I think if they saved their money from the research and put it into getting the support there for breastfeeders it would be more effective. All that the research will show is that there is not enough support - the fact that mums are released from hospital without being checked that the feeding is going well is just disgusting (the hospitals just want to shove new mums out), and then all mums have to rely on is midwives or HV's who have very little training in breastfeeding unless you are lucky to get one who has breastfed their own child - other wise you are led to believe you are not producing enough milk (which is incredibly rare), or not shown how to get baby to latch on properly so there is soreness and baby can't take enough milk. I have heard of Dr's saying that you shouldn't breastfeed if you have mastitis, and HV's tell mums that after 6 months they should go onto follow on milk so their baby can get more iron (despite breastmilk iron being far better absorbed then iron supplemented formula). If there was more support and help then this condition won't be as frequent. It just really pisses me off that the government push the breast is best message and then let every single mother down by not putting the money into helping them through the first few months. They go on about how much money breastfeeding saves the NHS - well bloody use it to help other mums breastfeed. We have one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in the world, I can't believe that less then 1% breastfeed for 6 months - that is very sad :(.

The report is badly reported on too in this article. The actual message is lost and instead it comes across as there are mums who are prepared to put their babies health at risk so they can breastfeed, not that they are being let down by the health professionals that are there to help them. Thoguh one quote did make me smile - I wish his message could reach more
"But as far as I'm concerned the answer isn't more formula feeding, but increased support for breastfeeding from the outset in the form of counsellors.

beanie said:
The report is badly reported on too in this article. The actual message is lost and instead it comes across as there are mums who are prepared to put their babies health at risk so they can breastfeed, not that they are being let down by the health professionals that are there to help them.

That's what I was thinking. I think the message of the article would be easily ignored with the shock headline.

It is so sad that the constant message during pregnancy of breast, breast, breast doesn't seem to carry on after birth and that babies get sick and mums give up because of the lack of support. I know a handful of people who have breastfed succesfully and of them, non have gone on past 4 months. Generations of women have been formula feeding as the norm and with no experience being passed down from friends/sisters/mothers, help really needs to come from the people who are supposed to be looking after you after birth and it just doesn't.

Like Beanie what struck me the most was that only 1% of women BF exclusively for six months :shock:

It will be interesting to see what the results say, and WHY these babies become dehydrated (however rare it is).

I just wonder if it could ever be to do with the fact that mothers are pressured to put their babies into a routine too early and not to feed them on demand? I remember the advice I was receiving from (well meaning, yet ignorant) people that I shouldn't be feeding my LO every 30 - 60 minutes like I was. You can also see evidence of this kind of pressure here on PF.

With my recent experience i have to say I feel a bit let down by the "support" I have had from midwives, health visitors etc. The lack of consistency in advice has been amazing.
Ultimately I was told I am not producing enough milk and was given a ridiculous feeding/expressing regime to follow. This has resulted in me being completely exhausted and as of yesterday I am giving my baby formula as well as breast to reassure myself he is getting enough and to get his weight up.
And if I hadn't made that decision already I would have today after reading that article.

My wee boy ended up with mild dehydration after trying to breastfeed in hospital. We tried so hard and had so many midwives try to help but with no success. Euan was trying to latch but only staying on the breast for a few sucks. I asked many midwives at what point should I give up and go to formula? No one would give me a straight answer :( We found that Euan likes to suck his tongue to the roof of his mouth...so I had no hope in breastfeeding him!

As a result for the 3-4 days we tried breastfeeding my poor boy was getting nothing, becoming very drowsy and not having very many wet nappies and was also starting to have urates showing in his nappy. It wasn't until the 3rd day they suggested topping up with formula.

I felt awful about this for days afterwards and felt my wee man didn't deserve this on top of being jaundice and a nice lump on his head from the ventouse delivery! :cry:

Don't get me wrong, I agree that breast is best and if you are able to breastfeed then that's wonderful. However, I do feel that in my situation someone should have stepped in and said "sorry but you're going to have to bottle feed him". It doesn't bother me at all that I am bottlefeeding, I just want the best for my son :)

On a slight tangent.... although breast is best, I feel this is forced too much and for people wishing to bottlefeed you are given no help/guidance on this. When I decided to bottlefeed before leaving the hospital I was given no guidance, hints/tips or advice on the amount I should be looking to feed my LO.

sorry for rambling on! :oops: :oops:

kmac said:
And if I hadn't made that decision already I would have today after reading that article.

I totally understand and am fully behind your decision as you already know kmac.

However, that's the point I was making above - does the article not make first time mothers struggling to breastfeed more insecure and scared they are 'starving/dehydrating' their baby when they could (should?) be encouraged to continue by those medical professionals around them?

Valentine Xxx

I think a lot of the time in the UK women are told when and how long to BF each time, and get discouraged if the baby wants to feed more or less.
I truly believe if baby has all access to the breast and is free to take as and when it needs, then a healthy baby will thrive! I hate all this 'put baby on one breast for 5mins, then take it off and switch to next breast for 5mins' I have NEVER taken India off the breast, she knows when she's finished, and will communicate to me if she needs more from the next boob.

Don't let things get complicated, just listen to the Little Ones, they are programmed instinctively to feed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back