Breast shields/shells

Yvonne

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used them?

I had a bad time breast feeding Amy as i was never shown how to latch her on properly it was just a quick "there you are" and off they went, i suffered with painful, cracked and bleeding nipples as a result of it.

I would like to try it again with this one but was thinking of using nipple shields to try and take away risk of it happeneing again, does anyone know if they are effective or have the same feeling as the nipple?

:D :D :D

My auntie is using them at the moment as she found breastfeeding so painful (sore nips and repeated mastitis) and she said they help a lot with the sore nipples. I don't think you're supposed to use them for the first 2 weeks though.

Hiya - long time no 'speak'!!

I only know what we were told last week at antenatal.

They are apparently very good if you have sore/cracked nipples and can 'save' breastfeeding in severe cases where mums are ready to give up, but should only be used as a last resort and never for a long time, because it forces the baby to change their mouth shape in order to suck - bit like feeding from a bottle is totally different to feeding from the breast - which I think is why it's not recommended for the first 2 weeks.

They also said if you are having problems getting baby to latch on correctly then give one of the breastfeeding counsellors a call so they can help, as this is the main reason people give up so early. I haven't checked but there are probably links via the NCT website as they are very big on supporting breastfeeding.

All easy to say in theory, but different when it's your boobs!!!

I don't know if any of this helps - as a first time mum, I have no idea what to expect so have to base all of this on what these people tell me!

LBxx

Hi Amy's mum
I used them before and have just bought the Avent ones, just in case. Make sure you check the size on the packet. They have S,M & L. I don't think I'll need them as I've been prepping my nipples with Lansinoh Nipple Ointment, but you never know. It can be very sore during the first few weeks. I'm getting prepared!!!
Hugs
Emilia xx :lol:

PS...
Got Avent breast shells as well. The new ones are better than the ones I used in the past. Great for catching milk whilst feeding from the other breast. Also good for airing nipples.
Have a looky at what's available and put a B/feeding kit together for yourself!!! :D

I would really recommend not just buying shells but getting latching on advice too.

When I breastfed my son, it hurt like hell for a week or so, but then was no problem at all.
If you manage to sort out the latching on issue you may not need to use the shields, it's a lot easier without, I found.
My midwife was great with advice, just keep asking until someone helps

Good luck!

I think the main reson women find feeding painfull is because they dont realise just how mush of the nipple you need to get in the babies mouth. I know what if I just gently squeeze my nipple I find it painfull anyway, where as if you get all the aeole surround as well it dosent hurt at all, and its all this you need to get in the babies mouth, a real gob full!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back