breast pump in hospital bag??????

Lyndsey

Reaction score
Hello!

I am planing on breast feeding and I have bought a breast pump. Will I need to take this into hospital with me when I go into labour? I think I can remember someone saying that they aren't supposed to be used until your milk comes in properley which can be after 3 days but I am not sure if I have just made this up!!! :shock: If thats the case then I won't need it......

Also what happens if baby won't feed or you have difficulty..... do they provide you with milk or do you have to take in your own formula and bottles etc.....

Thank you

Lyndsey

Hiya
You shouldn't really need a pump in hospital, it's not advised to pump in the first few weeks unless you really have to, so your milk can settle into exactly what your baby needs.

The hospital will provide formula in the unlikely event you are unable to feed for whatever reason, don't worry.

:)

thank you Urchin!!! What a speedy response!!!!!!!!!! :D Another person who has trouble sleeping eh?

Our hospital had a breast feeding clinic every week day morning and anybody who had trouble feeding at the hospital came down from the ward to it (and in some cases the staff went up to people in the ward) to help them. They also had breast pumps there should you need it. I know that you are not supposed to use a breast pump until your milk comes in but I must admit I did because I had flat nipples my LO couldn't get a latch until I had used the pump for a bit. However the breast feeding clinic showed me how to give her somethign to latch onto without resort to the breast pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back