braxton hicks?

hayley

Reaction score
what do braxton hicks feel like?

yesterday i ent out shopping with DH.. i felt a sharp pain - similar to a stitch but sharper across the lower part of my stomach - under my belly button which lasted about 20 to 30 seconds then went but came back a few mins later...

later on in the day i was out shoping with mum when i got the same pain..

don't know if it was due to walking - and it was a real stitch! or if it was braxton hicks.. what stage do they start?
x

hiya hayley
ive been having braxton hicks for a couple of weeks now and we are near enought the same gestation, just so you have a comparison mine are like tightening around my bikini line and bump as though someone is squeezing my tummy, they catch my breath sometime and can also come with a stitch like pain, they last about 1-2 mins and then go away sometime i get 2 or 3 but then they tend to go away, i usually get mine if i have been walking or carried anything or the most painful is after (to be polite) bed time activities. :oops:
this is my third pregnancy so from experience i would say dont worry if they are irregular and go away after a while however the further in your pregnancy you are keep a closer log of them and if they get regular and stronger then call your midwife just incase.
usually dep breathing exercises help me with mine if you need stronger form of pain relief then again call midwife.

Hi Hayley,

(I'm still here :( ) I think I must have been about 20 odd weeks when my BH started but didn't twig what they were for a few weeks after that, I thought it was baby moving and sticking his bum in the air (like father, like son!)
I think it was New Years Day when it dawned on me what they were.
My tummy would go really really tight and solid & it would last for about 30 or so seconds then die down, they didn't have any pattern to them at all.
They didn't hurt at all, just felt a bit uncomfortable at times if they were strong ones.
I think BH can hurt sometimes, just depends on the individual I guess :think:

Nicki.x :D

Oh Nicki poor you still here :(

Hayley mine are much like nicki's - my bump goes really hard and it's as though parts of the baby are sticking out!! I have now located it's knees and it's feet and it's bum!!!!

Xxx

mine are like nicki and lindsays midwife says they can sometimes be down to dehydration they should not be painful although during the last trimester they can be more uncomfortable it appears now that every time my baby moves it sets off braxton hicks so im never really sure any more if baby is moving or not :( which is quite scary after baby being so very active all the way through the one thing i have been told is if you have more than 4 braxton hicks an hour you should get checked out im not really sure why though xxx

Oh dear, I seem to have more than 4 an hour, hope I am alright - feeling a bit worried now :( will monitor them and mention it next time I see the m/w

Xxx

sorry lindsay hun didnt mean to worry you its just something i read somewhere take no notice of me :( xxx

Hi guys,

Found this on the net Lindsay, hope it helps a bit -

When should I call my doctor or midwife?
Call your caregiver right away if you haven't reached 37 weeks and your contractions are becoming more frequent, rhythmic, or painful, or if you have any of these possible signs of preterm labor:

• Abdominal pain, menstrual-like cramping, or more than four contractions in an hour (even if they don't hurt).

• Any vaginal bleeding or spotting.

• An increase in vaginal discharge or a change in the type of discharge — if it becomes watery, mucousy, or bloody (even if it's only pink or blood-tinged).

• Increased pelvic pressure (a feeling that your baby's pushing down).

• Low back pain, especially if it's a new problem for you.

If you're past 37 weeks, there's no need to call your doctor or midwife until your contractions last 60 seconds each and are five minutes apart, unless your caregiver has advised you otherwise

Nicki.x

Thanks for the info - I seem to get them if baby is moving position so they may not be braxton hicks? It happened while I saw m/w last time and she didn't seem worried - I will ring them if they persist tho :?

Xxx

hayley said:
what do braxton hicks feel like?

yesterday i ent out shopping with DH.. i felt a sharp pain - similar to a stitch but sharper across the lower part of my stomach - under my belly button which lasted about 20 to 30 seconds then went but came back a few mins later...

later on in the day i was out shoping with mum when i got the same pain..

don't know if it was due to walking - and it was a real stitch! or if it was braxton hicks.. what stage do they start?
x

mine felt like a tight band around my tummy lasting several minutes. I hate them and am dreading them.

thanks ladies...

oh nicki poor you! - hope you go in soon! good luck.

got another stitch like pain today after a long walk with DH... so thinking maybe they are stitch like cramps...

i'm only 25 weeks and i'm ready for this baby now! wish i could fast forward the next 15 weeks... or may be not! don't have all the babies stuff yet...

x

I've been getting BH since about 20 weeks too, like others I wasn't sure what the tightening sensation was until a friend whose pg and already has a baby described it.

I defo get more than 4 an hour at times too but I don't have any pains at all with it so I've not worried about it too much. I did read that they can be caused by dehydration.

I must remember to mention it to my midwife tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back