• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boys name....too odd???

Zorica

Reaction score
Hi all

Haven't really posted on here before, just been reading what everyone else has been up to!

My problem is a boys name...we know we're having a boy and the thing is my partners dad died in Sept, just about the same time I concieved this little one and he would really like to use his dad's name..... thing is its Gerald...??

I really cant see a tiny baby being called Gerald, but am trying to come up with a compromise......what do you think of Gerry??

Really dont want to upset partner but keep imagining an old man when I think of the name Gerald? Although I suppose in germany its quite a common name!!

Anyway...what do you all think????

I love the idea of the name Gerry! I think thats a really good 'compromise' - I don't know if compromise is the right word - sorry?! :think:

I am with you that Gerald is an older sounding name, which I personally would not choose for baby, I really like the idea of Gerry though - cute for baby, and would easily carry through the ages.

It is a great way of acknowledging your OH's father, and I am a personal fan of names with meaning.

Our LO is going to have Gerald as his middle name as this is the name of Hubbys dad (who died about 20 years ago) and also the name of my Uncle (who died about 10 years ago).
We did talk about it as a first name and if we had gone for as first name we would have gone for Gerry. I think Gerry is a cute name for a baby.

I think as long as you and your OH like the name, it will work, once LO arrives it will be like it was meant to be I'm sure :cheer:

Our LO is having Walter as his middle name after OH's Grandad, (we call LO Wally now as we've yet to decide his first name) I think if a name means a lot to you, if not the first, then having it as a second name is a lovely option too :hug:

My uncle was called Gerald and we all called him Ged, pronounced Jed when he died shortly after my cousin had a son and called him Ged, i think its a cool alternative???

I'm biased as I love old men's names! :lol:

Gerry sounds great, and you'll find after a week or so you could never imagine him being called anything else :D

Love it - also love Gerrard both of which could be shortenend to Ged if you want.

I think Ged sounds cool and Gerald sounds sophisticated to me.

I like Ged :D Gerry's not to bad but if you really don't want it as a first name, I think a middle name is a nice compromise

I forgot to add how my friend is thinking of calling her LO Winona, her Grandma who died was Winnifred, but she doesn't like it as a first name, but as her Gran was also called Wini, then Winona would work as Wini too, and that's her looking at a compromise. I told her to go for Winifred and call her Fred, I think that's cute for a girl hehe

aw thanks everyone for your help with this name...!

I'm slowly coming around to the idea of gerald but using Gerry or Ged (which I think is a great suggestion!) instead.

Already have a daughter called Phoebe and a son called Jaden, third name to find seems soooooo hard!!!

I personally think you should call your baby whatever you like and not to be pressured into it. I for example would not call my baby ronald!
But its entirely upto you of course, but if you dont like an name then you shouldnt use it!
After all you have to use it for the rest of your life!

Can't you have Gerald as a middle name? I personally couldn't use a name that I didn't like as a first name for whatever reason. I like Ged though as it is more modern.

I think Gerald is cute in that old man chic way and very unusual nowadays. I think it's quite cheeky in fact and Ged is a great nickname :D

it might seem old fashioned to u now, but u never kno it might be really popular in 15 or 20 years! when my sister emily was born 24 years ago the name was not popular but it really is now, as is lily and grace. if u like gerald, go for it! (or u can use it as middle name?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back