Bottles - She wont take any :( help!

happy-chick

Reaction score
When Ellie was a few weeks old she would take breast & bottle (Tommy Tippee closer to nature) and didnt mind either... Im not feeling well so hubby tried giving her some expressed milk in a bottle last night & she wasnt interested... this has happened a few times now so we wanted to try a different type of bottle?

We've just tried the mothercare ones for BF and bottlefeeding... Bloody £6.49 and she wont have it!! :(

Im feeling REALLY restricted at mo as I cant go anywhere without her just incase she wants feeding :( Aarghhhhhhhhhhh! Dont wanna spend more money on bottles which she wont have and will get wasted so im bit confused as to what to try... any suggestions?

Maybe she wont take the bottle hun cos you breastfeed her exclusively and she wants your warm comfy booby instead of a bottle :D

Why not warm the teat up for her and see if shes any better.I recommend the tippee bottle.

My LO is like this she used to take EBM from the TT bottles no problem but now she won't even open her mouth for it. The only other bottle i have tried is the mam ones she will put this in her mouth but won't suck :wall:

I only ever gave/give Austin Avent bottles & he's always taken them fine. He is a boy though & LOVES his food, I think he'd lap milk off the floor if he was given the chance :roll: :D

As for getting her use to a teat. I remember there was a lady next to me that was having trouble with her baby who wouldnt feed at all. The midewife would hold the bottle to her mouth and tilt her chin with the same hand to encourage drinking. I probably can't explain it best but im sure someone on here can elaborate that technique for you.

Maybe its the teat she doesn't like? Does she take anything from the bottle? Take note if she gulps too hard and there's milk coming out from the sides then you may need a slow flow teat. If shes sucking really hard and seems to be working really hard for it try medium flow teats. Ive just put my son recently on medium flow teats - made a HUGE improvement at meal times.

As for bottles i use the doctor brown bottles. Expensive at £10 for 2 but they have a special straw vent system that stops him gulping air. They come with very slow teats so ive just kept the bottles and replace the teats with asda medium flow ones. (Doc brown medium flow teats are for 3mnths+ and Ky's not quiet there yet!)

Hmm might give the dr browns a go but really dont wanna spend £10 on more bottles that she wont have... any tips on how to encourage her?

we recently switched the the Tomme Tippee ones because madam decided avent was no longer to her liking and to encourge her we hold the bottle at a similar angle to b/f... ie she is slightly on her side and roots for it as if rooting for my boob... it seems to work

rachie29 said:
we recently switched the the Tomme Tippee ones because madam decided avent was no longer to her liking and to encourge her we hold the bottle at a similar angle to b/f... ie she is slightly on her side and roots for it as if rooting for my boob... it seems to work

Yeh we've tried that and she just pushes it away with her tongue and looks at us as if shes sayin 'I aint stupid u know!' :lol:

happy_chick said:
rachie29 said:

Yeh we've tried that and she just pushes it away with her tongue and looks at us as if shes sayin 'I aint stupid u know!' :lol:

mmm, dunno what else to suggest then.... will she not even put it in her mouth? sometimes dribbling some milk onto the bottom lip encourages them but i assume you've done that...

rachie29 said:
happy_chick said:
rachie29 said:

mmm, dunno what else to suggest then.... will she not even put it in her mouth? sometimes dribbling some milk onto the bottom lip encourages them but i assume you've done that...

She lets me put it in her mouth but then pushes it out with her tongue and pulls her face, ive tried dripping milk in, warming the teat, wiggling it around, different positions :lol: shes just not having anything apart from boob lol

Hi happy_chick,

I've so been there. :hug: . Many sympathies to you.

DD took a bottle with a fuss the first few times we tried at under 6 weeks old, then we got lazy and rarely tried it unless we had to, then she just couldn't seem to suck from it. She used to take the teat and roll it about her tongue and not seem to know what to do. Very frustrating for her and for us. This is my post from when I was going a bit stir crazy and looking for help - hopefully there might be some answers in there for you.

Melanie then kindly sent me something to help - and it did! I was at my wits end after 24/7 care of DD for months and months and not being able to leave her for more than 5 mins. I think you can get these on eBay as they are expensive to buy new.

I hope this helps. I know what you are going through - lots of us have been there. I'm happy to say that now, DD will take a 'normal' cheapie bottle (think its TT, but its not Closer to Nature, its purple and shaped in the middle to fit your hand - was about £1.50 and I bought it to try it 'cos it was cheap) after a few months using the breastbottle nurser.

Valentine Xxx

Is your DH trying I think if she can smell your milk when you are trying to get her to feed from the bottle she wont have any of it lol.
I hope you can sort it out :hug:

Yeah we've seen that bottle but wasnt sure if it would be any good, might give it a shot then! :D Thanks Valentine!

LilysMummy we've both tried to give her bottle but she just wont take it :(

ive got the breast bottle from mothercare u have bought.. my idea would be.. take ur top off and pretend ur gonna bf her n put the bottle in her mouth. see if that works..

lisa&alex said:
ive got the breast bottle from mothercare u have bought.. my idea would be.. take ur top off and pretend ur gonna bf her n put the bottle in her mouth. see if that works..

Yep tried it, she just pushes it out and looks at me like im pure evil then cries and tries to find my REAL boob!! :lol:

midna said:
Nothing has worked for me lol good luck :lol: ..I dont feel restricted I get my tit out anywhere :D

LMAO!! Ye I dont mean that it just means that I cant really have any 'me time' or go out for a few hours cos she may need feeding :lol: u clown mids u make me laugh!! :D

Hiya,

it'll be becasue she hasn't had a bottle in a while. At that age you have to keep them used to the bottle by giving it at least once a week.

We had a break of about a month without giving Asher a bottle. It took us at least a week of giving a botle every day for him to take it again. For the first few days he just screamed or played with it with his tongue.

K.xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back