Any Suggestions? UPDATE!!! 1st post

charlie84

Reaction score
UPDATE

Thanks for all your advice ladies, did try the quickly take her off boob and put in bottle but she wasnt fooled at all :lol:

Well a lovely lady at baby massage today gave me some more bottles to try. Her son never took to a bottle and she had built up quite a collection of bottles trying to get him to take one.

Well i tried her with a breastflow bottle to start with which has a teat within a teat with some kinda let down thing in it. That was no good as she still didnt want to suck it. This bottle needed to be sucked before any drop of milk would come out.

We then tried a NUK bottle, well she started to suck away on it like a trooper. Only for a min or two but yay i think i have found one that will work :cheer:

Still early days yet but am gonna keep expressing for a feed a day. So worried that when i go back to work she will struggle to take milk.
........................................................................................................

Well i have been expressing milk everyday now since Calleigh was six weeks. Its now been over two weeks and she still wont take from a bottle :wall:

I want to be able to have the option of giving expressed milk if i ever have to leave her for more than a couple of hours, and i am still not sure how early i may have to return to work yet.

All she does is chew and push the teat out of her mouth. She will occasionally have a few sucks but then doesnt do it again.

After an hour i then have to chuck away the boobie milk which is such a waste :cry:

We have tried various bottles but it will start to get expensive if i keep buying different ones and she wont take from any.
I have tried TT closer to nature, Avent bottles, i have also tried tescos own baby bottles and have tried really cheap bottles with the softer teat.
OH has tried feeding her without me present, with me present, me feeding her. But still no luck.

Has anyone got any suggestions, such as bottles you have tried that has worked when others have failed. Any techniques.

I managed to get Oliver to take a bottle once by starting him off feeding from me, then quickly whipping my nipple out and sticking the teat in! He just carried on sucking, by the time he realised I'd replaced my boob with something different he'd also realised that he was still getting milk from it. I don't know if that would work long term though, although it might get her used to the feel of a teat and what to do with it.

Will she take milk from a spoon or cup? At least that would do in emergencies if you really need to go out somewhere. Good luck anyway :hug:

Emms is just the same - maybe keep going everyday and hopefully she will get used to it eventually? ( I'm hoping :shock: ) :hug: :hug:

We've been trying to get Ellie to have a bottle since about 6 weeks... shes now 19 weeks and we've had no luck :shock: but its all about perseverance and lots of patience i think. Ellie did exactly the same and played around then sucked a little bit... then kicked off big time!! We are now in the process of trying a cup instead and i dont think she'll ever have a bottle. Here's some advice I gave someone a while back with things to try...

happy_chick said:
1/ Just let him play around with the teat if thats what he wants to do, get him used to having it in his mouth.

2/ Try when baby is hungry, not hungry and in between - people have sucesses with trying at different times... we found that if ellie was hungry she would just get frustrated and cry more so inbetween feeds was the best time.

3/ Try different bottles, we tried TT CTN, Avent, Nurser Bottle, Mothercare breast bottle and found that the TTC CTN suited Ellie best.

4/ When you have found a bottle that he's a bit receptive to then try different flow teats, we tried 1, 2 and then ended up on Variflow teats and then baby can control the speed like they do on breast... faster and beginning and slower towards the end etc.

5/ Try milk at different temperatures, babies tend to have a temperature they prefer.

6/ Try feeding when he's asleep, see if he will just suck without realising its not breast.

7/ Try to hold him close and cuddles like he is when he's breastfeeding so that he gets the comfort factor.

8/ Try different people giving it him including yourself, while your there and while your not.

9/ Try boucing him while giving him the bottle, this was the thing that worked for us as she got the comfort from the bouncing and food from bottle :)

10/ Try him with a bottle at least once a day, get him used to it and keep persevering.

If all else fails you could try a feeder cup... they kinda lap up the milk from it with their tongue. Ive used this method a couple of times if i've had to go out, its a bit of messing around but does the trick.

product-6746280.jpg

Good luck :D

DebbieM said:
The Haberman is a good one to try....

haberman.JPG

I never tried it but the baby whisperer was daft about this one, she always had the bf mums who were converting on this.

for me, I used mam teats and and avent bottle.

ooh good sounds promising! hope these ones work for u! x

charlie84 said:
UPDATE

Thanks for all your advice ladies, did try the quickly take her off boob and put in bottle but she wasnt fooled at all :lol:

She's obviously a lot smarter than Oliver ;) glad you've found a bottle that seems to work :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back